My daughter suffers from epilepsy. She started with new job and she has to be in front of the computer almost whole day. I am worried that it can trigger her seizures. Is working with computer dangerous for people with epilepsy?

Working in front of a computer monitor for the majority of people with epilepsy will not be a problem and will not trigger seizures. Individuals with photosensitive epilepsy are at risk, but as far as I know Most computers work at a frequency which does not tend to provoke seizures. Laptop computers are even less likely to trigger. So, Working with computers is relatively safe.

No working with computers is not dangerous. it is how the position of the neck is and it depends on if there are any blood clots in the veins. When a baby is born Breach and the surgeon tries to reposition the baby inside the mother's womb it can cause brain damage and low oxygen in the blood stream. The body is made up of Bones, Blood, Water, Intestines, a Heart that beats, a pancreas, a liver, a spline well I do not have one. In a womans body are fallopian tubes, a womb, a uterus, and a vaginal tract. IN a mans body well they have a prostrate. The man's spine is different than a woman's .Your daughter will be just fine.

Generally:

Epilepsy and computers could pose a minor risk... In about 10% of all cases regarding people diagnosed with epilepsy, people exhibit photosensitive epilepsy. These people can react to fast changing colors or intensity in light levels. These people can suffer epilepsy attacks caused by computerscreens, or television, or other flashes.

My personal experiences:

Personally I am diagnosed with photosenstive epilepsy (it can be checked by a nerologist doing an EEG while your daughter watches a stroboscope, a television or computerscreen.) Attacks will be comparable to the normal seizures she experiences if this would be the case. I react mildly to stroboscopes, and a little more severe to lighning flashes and flashes made by camera's. Ik can sit behind monitors about 10 hrs daily as long as I mind the brightness of the screen (dark days-> low brightness, light days-> medium brightness) I do however have problems with certain videoclips on MTV, and games (mostly FPS, racing games and flightsimulators.)

Background:

This reaction to light is a known trigger, sound is also known to trigger epileptic attacks in very rare cases, smell is said to be possible but no real legwork has been done to substantiate odor's to be a real trigger. It is said that in light its the ocular nerve that get's overexited, with sound it's thought the auditory nerves get overexited, but for odors, most neurologista are sceptic as the area in the brain occupied by interpreting smells is relatively small...

How to get more decent information:

For further questions I'd recommend you ask your daughters approval to join her for a (in my country (=The Netherlands) normal) control visit to her neurologist. so you could ask him in person. If she feels excessively tired after screen work, or dizzy or nauseaus after screen work it would be wise to ask for a consult and recheck for any light sensitiveness. This can be partly managed by adapting medication levels, and since I'm only a (well educated) patient I'll again advise her to see a neurologist in that case.

Numbers:

Just to give a number 1 in 150 ppl has a form of epilepsy, so 1 in 1500 people has photosensitive epilepsy. numbers for audiosensitive epilepsy should be less than 2 % of all people with epilepsy (comparing brain volume asiociated with processing the input) wich amounts to less than 1 in 7500 people.

Technical:

Oh and when using a computer or a television CRT monitors and televisions (deep screens) generally cause problems, especially below 50-60Hz refresh rates. When using TFT or plasma screens most problems seem to vanish even with low refresh rates. This has to do with the fact that CRT-screens relight areas on the screen a certain amount of times per second, and then fade out, TFT and LED secreens are lit permanently. Plasma i have no personal experience with and I really do not know the background about the functionality.
I found out with the neurologist I'm able to see a stobe flickering up to 70 times a second, above it becomes near constant, this is substantially higher than most ppl are aware of , most people cannot distinguish flashes above 25hz (=the rate black and white televisions used for refresh in their time)...
Since flickering can cause photo-sensitive problems ppl sometimes have problems when driving past three lined roads when the threes cast a shadow on the road, or bad energy saving (non-led) lightbulbs and TL -lighting with bad starters...

Hope it helps,

Ronald

Just a remark, In my opinion stress & fatigue are both a much more dangerous trigger than photosenstive-ness.

So I hope she doesn't have to long a workdays...

Ronald.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use