I’m having some trouble figuring out exactly which vitamin K supplement to start taking and what would be the right dose that would have positive effects on improving my bone density. So far, this is based only on experiences I’ve read, but it also seems that vitamin K2 is also regularly used as a part of osteoporosis treatment in Japan. But the problem is, I’ve only found official information for vitamin K1, and as far as K2 is concerned, there seems to be a bigger chance for K2 to cause clotting and heart problems. Other than osteoporosis which is simply I think age related in my case, I don’t have any other major health problems, so are there any other vitamin K2 side effects that I should consider?

the only major reason why you shouldn't take vitamin K is if you have blood clotting issues or if you are taking medication that affect blood clotting. Other than this, you should also avoid taking vitamin K supplements during pregnancy or in very large doses, even though there doesn't seem to be definitive data on what exactly does too much mean in this case. The recommended daily dose for vitamin K is 90 micrograms, so you should be completely OK if you stick to that limit. Alternatively, you can try increasing the amount of vitamin K rich foods in your diet. Those foods are mostly green leafy vegetables, with broccoli, spinach, kale, cauliflower… etc. Vitamin K is also present in fermented dairy products and cheese.

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Vitamin K is not effective for treating clotting problems caused by severe liver disease. In fact, high doses of vitamin K can make clotting problems worse.