Hi. I’ve been taking vitamins regularly, on daily basis. I thought that I was not taking enough of them through food so I decided to take vitamins in tablets. Until recently I’ve felt good and healthy but then I started feeling strange… I’ve asked around a bit and found out that taking too much vitamins during longer period of time can lead to vitamin toxcicty. Is it possible that I could have it?? What dangers could there be from taking vitamins during a longer period of time, or taking too much of them?

There is no doubt that there are possible risks from taking excessive amounts of vitamins, especially when taking them during period of time. It's extremely hard to take too much vitamins in from eating natural foods - actually, it is hard to take needed amount as well. On the other hand, it is much easier to overdose on vitamin supplements. High doses, which are supposed to have specific health benefits, can be extremely dangerous. The most risky are the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), while taking very large amounts of water-soluble vitamins rarely causes toxic effects - they are simply washed out in the urine. If you think you have taken too much of any vitamin don’t worry much – simply stop taking them and your body will dispose what needs to be disposed. In general, toxicity is the result of prolonged intake of high doses but it is reversible - stop taking the vitamins and, if you want to, you can talk to your doctor just to check you for possible side effects or possible treatment.