I have turmeric in my kitchen and use it from time to time, mainly in Indian cooking. I don't make curries very often, but I do enjoy them a lot. I always thought that turmeric was very healthy for the body. But apparently there are some side effects. What can you tell me about that?

Hi Brunhilda! As far as I know the Turmeric is considered a safe herb. However, I red somewhere that prolong use of higher than recommended doses can cause stomach upset and other gastrointestinal disturbances. I also found that there is no recommended daily allowance on turmeric because it is not considered an essential nutrient. Thez say that a typical adult dosage as a stand-alone supplement is 400 to 600 of curcumin a day. There are also some categories that should avoide tumerc : Pregnant women, women who are trying to conceive or women that have a history of fertility problems, women who are nursing, people with a blood-clotting disorder, people on any type of medication, people with health conditions. If you recogniye youself in one of theese categories I guess you should avoide it. I also have some tumeric in my kitchen, I don't even remember how I got it XD . I'm not realy sure how to use it. So if you have some advice it would be useful. Thanks. All the best to you!