I am 57 year-old male and my doctor prescribed coumadin to me because I was found to have deep vein thrombosis. The doctor didn’t tell me anything about food restrictions but I heard that I should eat plenty of tomatoes and carrots. Knowing this, I was wondering if there are other foods I should eat while on this drug or maybe some that I should be eating at all during the therapy with coumadin.

During coumadine therapy you need to keep vitamin K consistent and eat food that are low in K vitamins and restrict the amounts of food that have high levels of this vitamin. Tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, milk and oil have low levels of the vitamin K. YOU should minimize kale, broccoli, cooked and raw spinach, cooked cabbage, and raw broccoli, and have small amounts of soybean oil, canola oil, green apple, asparagus and cucumber. Make sure you have your blood checked regularly.