My brother is obsessed with vitamin C. He is using too much of this vitamin. I am afraid he could overdose himself. What are the side effects of vitamin C? I know that this is water soluble vitamin and that it cannot accumulate in organism, but nevertheless I am curious. What do you think?

There are severe side effects of vitamin E. like Nausea,Vomiting,Irritation of the esophagus etc. Vitamin C toxicity is very rare, because the body cannot store the vitamin. However, amounts greater than 2,000 mg/day are not recommended because such high doses can lead to stomach upset and diarrhea.

How many mg did your brother take per day and how old is he? Because what I read at , the advisable Vitamin C intake is 90-2000 mg for an adult and one piece of orange juice contains 60mg of Vitamin C.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Occasionally, very high doses (over 10G ie ~ 10,000MG) daily can cause unpleasant side effects, such as diarrhea, excess urination and skin rashes. If this happens simply cut back on our dosage.

Vitamin C can also be destroyed by smoking, water, cooking, heat, light and oxygen and alcohol ♥

Vitamin C is a powerfull antioxidant though and is pretty good at protecting you from catching the common cold ♥