Hello! I am about to have a thyroidectomy performed next week, and I am interested in seeing some of the post op pictures. Is there anybody who could show me directions where to find these photos. Thx!

Hi! You can find all sorts of pictures online. You can use google to search for the photos. All you have to do is type what you are looking for. I can tell you little bit about scars after thyroidectomy. My scar wasn’t big as I had endoscopic surgery. In this procedure, small incisions are made and therefore smaller scars. But the problem is that not all people can have endoscopic surgery. I don’t know why, but it’s what my doc told me. Good luck with your surgery!

I had a large substernal thyroidectomy which resulted in a long, red raised scar. This is not the norm, as every case is different.

to my surprise and the surgeon as well we thought we were removing a benine mass about 4.5cm but the mass went all the way into my sternum, before surgery I was being treated by an endo, doc for 1.5 year Did all nessasery tests 2 bi-opsies both benine thank god. nuclear med, levexol and periodic ultra sounds,the last ultr sound is what prompted me to seek a surgeon they told me the mass had grown but couldnt see beond my collar bone,My endo doc never sent me to get a CT scan witch would have detected this in fact he didnt feel I needed to see a surgeon because the mass was not cancer, In the mean time for months I had told him and my regular doc that I wasnt feeling well couldnt breath,heaviness in chest and was very tired all the time,they took xrays and nothing showed up ,because xrays only show bones,If I didnt insist on seeing a surgeon who knows what the out come could have been ,3 weeks recovery ,I can breath! I feel like my chest is 5 lbs lighter, as for being tired it could be post-op? my only concern now is getting my voice back completally its still very week and quite and I get winded just trying to talk .surgeon said I may never get it back all the way I guess I need to be more patient? does time really heal everything?

I recently had a complete thyroidectomy. My scar was huge raised and very red and soar for two or three weeks. When my steri strips finally came off it even looked worse for a few days. It has taken 2 months for it to look somewhat decent. It is still hypersensitive and red and hurts to stretch it out, like lying on my stomach in bed.

I have had 2 thyroidectomy surgeries. I was diagnosed with graves' disease at the age of 13 and my thyroid was 4 times overactive. I had a goiter half the size of a fist. Because of my young age the doctors did not want to do the radiation treatment and they said because of the high levels they could not guarantee that medication would fix the problem. So in April of 1991 I had the first surgery. They removed the entire right lobe and 7/8ths of the left lobe. They did not take it all at the time in hopes that by leaving some in I would not be dependent on medication for the rest of my life. The scar from the first surgery is not as nice as the 2nd surgery. They closed the opening with staples so it was poofy for a long while. In 2005 I started noticing that I had a goiter beginning to form again and went to the Dr. In May of 2006 I had a 2nd thyroidectomy where they removed the rest of my thyroid. This surgeon did a wonderful job on the suture of the wound. A year later my 2nd scar looks like a wrinkle on my neck. The surgeon told me they could go in the first scar and cut out scar tissue that would reduce the appearance of the scar if I would like. It would be all cosmetic surgery. We will see how that goes as insurance does not like to pay for cosmetic surgery. If you would like to see pictures of my scars you can email me at _[removed]_ and I will send you some piuctures of the two scars.

Had left thyroidectomy last September for a goiter that was as large as 5 golf balls and it was causing me to wake up stangling at night.I had a scar almost from ear to ear, and my surgeons left some stitches in in the middle which caused a more raised scar. It took me continusally going back to him before he noticed the stitches left in. I had severe incision pain for 2 1/2 months, which my doctor implied that I made up. Everyone is different. My scar still feel very tight and painful at times. I think if you go to an experienced surgeon-be sure to check out who is the best in your area. I went with the ENT surgeon that my family doctor referred me to, which was A MISTAKE. Ladies that I have met who had the same surgery have a small scar on the side of whichever thyroid was removed. I would search around for "the best surgeon" and look at some of his work. We have to learn things the hard way sometimes. Good luck!

hi there im 28 ive got underactive thyroid im in the process of scans and stuff but eventualy im going in for the operation ,my kneck is all swallen it right across my windpipe so its quit anoying ,if any one has any advice about the operation i would be so grateful even how they felt afte it

If you dont already have MYSPACE account , make one. Many people find that it is for dating, but ai used it for researching. Thers is a groups section. Look up thyroidctiomy and many groups will show up where you can talk personally with others who have experienced the same thing you are going through. Like myself. I started as thyroidectomy for a mass and ended up dealing with full blown cancer. Always remember you can get a lot of info from the doctors and others that are helpful, but they are not 100% correct. If you put 200 doctors in one convention center to discuss thyroidectomy, youll get 167 differant answers. Every situation is differant , but you can get a guideline. For instance everyone that sent me a picture was simular, but my doctor used staples and devistated me upon looking into the mirror. No worries, It looks 100% better after 3 months now. actually it looked 100% better after they took the staples out a week later. If you want to talk email me at _[removed]_---- Good Luck

I just had my thyroid removed 5 days ago. I did notice that my voice is different and that I can't sing right now. Hopefully that will come back. My surgeon did stitching under the skin and steristrips to close over that. I expect that my scar will be minimal. The thyroid goiter was huge and did go below the sternum but not far enough to be a problem for the surgeon. We are adjusting for calcium from the parathyroids and I am feeling better daily. By the date of your thyroidectomy you have already had yours. Hope that you are doing great.

I had an endoscopic hemi thyroidectomy on 3/4, 3/1/2 weeks ago and I am doing great. My dr was Dr David Terris in Augusta, Georgia. In May of last year I saw a surgeon in Baton Rouge who wanted to do an invasive hemi thyroidectomy and can I tell you, after reading all the side effects, I was scared. There was no way I was having a non-invasive thyroidectomy. At that time, my tumor was about 2cm. I went on line and found dr Terris and read all about the endoscopic, minimally invasive approach. Long story short, I went to Georgia on 3/2 and had the surgery on 3/4. I had some pain the first 3 days and after that I was fine.
My scar is about 1 inch and you can barely see it. I was off work for 3 weeks, since my dr said no stenuous activity for 3 weeks. Went back to work this week and I am doing fine. No damage to my vocal cords. I have a small amount of "tightness" at the base of my neck where the scar is but that should go away in about 2 or 3 weeks. When the tumor or nodule as they call came out it was about 6 inches long. I couldn't believe it. The best news is it was not caner . I highly recommend this dr
for anyone who is contemplating thyroidectomy surgery.

I started on .137mcg synthroid right after total thyroidectomy. Aside from sore throat and neck tightness my post surgery symptoms seem okay.

However, I seem to not be tolerating this high dosage of synthroid very well but I am anxious to stay on the highest dosage possible to avoid weight gain. I just get a little jittery and have a headache. I am sleeping fine. Will these synthroid related symptoms abate soon or do I need to reduce dosage? Thanks.

Hi, I had my left thyroid taken out on Oct 20, 2009 due to a huge cyst that was there, the scare is very clean and looks great, my question is I am really tired, I am getting hot and cold flashes and my baby finger and the one next too it go kinda numb did you expernace the same thing or do you thingit is part of the thyroid being gone, also I still have some swelling and discomfort sleeping, I cant sleep on my belly yet and I wake up off and on all night.....any suggestions as I don't go see the doctor till Monday Nov 9

I had a thyroidectomy a month ago.  I had a lump on my thyroid which turned out to be cancer. During surgery the surgeon found another lump on the thyroid.  My scar is about an inch long right in the middle of the neck. I asked the surgeon to find a wrinkle already there to cut into. Still a little red from the stitches.  I've been putting vitamin E on it every day.  My throat was sore for about 3 weeks and I still can't sing high notes yet.  It takes time to heal after the breathing tube down the throat.  I take the T3 hormone and don't seem to have any problems right now.  Haven't gained any weight yet for which I'm super thankful.