Even though my doctor told me that thyroidectomy is GENERALLY a very safe surgical procedure, I would still like to know what the possible complications are! Any bad experiences? Thanks?

Hello! It may happen that you end up with hemorrhage (bleeding) beneath the neck wound. If this happens, your wound can bulge and neck swell and may interfere with breathing. This is considered to be an emergency. Then, there is thyroid storm, a life-threatening surge of thyroid hormones into the blood. This rarely occurs if preventive medications are given before surgery. There could be injury to the recurrent laryngeal nerve as well as injury to a portion of the superior laryngeal nerve. Usually, all precaution is taken for these complications not to happen.

These are probably rare, but you can have vocal damage, pain in the neck and scar. Lots of tireness and fatigue, because of thyroid levels not be stabalized, loss of hair and weight gain.

I had a total thyroidectomy 11 days ago and had absolutely no complications with my parathyroid or my vocal cords. I was put on thyroid meds the morning following the surgery and so far so good. I was in hospital for 2 nights and the pain was very manageable. You will experience tightness and pulling afterwards. Try to stretch as much as is comfortable and take the pain meds of needed. I have had no problems eating either. Good luck with your surgery.

I am 6 days post complete thyroidectomy. Haven't had any of the parathyroid complications. Incision sight looks great. My problem has been complete lack of energy, going to the bathroom is like running a marathon, I have spent the entire week in bed. I am so very hot, llike I am having the world's largest hot flash. My doctor did not start me on any medicine but I follow up with him tomorrow and he will prescribe some then. Anyone else feel this way and how long before I feel normal?

I did not experience any of that, maybe because I was put on meds within 24 hours. I saw my specialist yesterday and she said that your body stores the thyroid hormone for 2 mths. I go back to work (home daycare) on Mon I will see how I feel after chasing 5 toddlers all day. I am expecting to be exhausted but since I have been feeling so good since my surgery I don't know. I hope you feel better soon.

twalukas- I am having the same symptoms after my partial thyroidectomy! I have extreme fatigue when I try to do anything for too long. If I go shopping or anything it is too much. I get dizziness, nausea, hot flashes and the worst fatigue I have ever felt! I feel like I am going to pass out! I am also 6 days post-surgery. I am seeing my dr. today and also getting some blood tests to see what my thyroid is doing... The only thing I can think of is that because my TSH was so suppressed before (my nodule on my thyroid was producing too much hormone) that now that it is going back to normal I am really feeling it. I don't know. I sure am depressed thinking about how weak and tired I am though. I have three small children and it has been so hard this last week... my youngest is 5months old. I am worn out enough without having this problem. If you get this post, did you ever find out what it was that caused your symptoms after surgery? Anyone else know? I was told I should be normal after surgery... this is NOT normal....

Hi twalukas, I had my thyroid removed on Nov 4th, 08 and I still have some wierd things goin on n my body that the docters can explain. I have cold chills tha goes through different parts of my body and some tightness. I do get tired alot and depression is something I am trying to get over. I will be doin therapy soon for my neck. I'm just glad that other people are out there understanding what we are going through. I want to try to exercise because some people say that it make you feel better. But sometimes I am to tired to walk. Sometime I feel cold chills going through my head. I wear glasses, but it still come. they say because of depression it can cause several pains in the body. I dont know, but I want to get much better. my email is _[removed]_ tina

I can't believe that I have finally found others who are experiencing what I am! I had a total thyroidectomy 27 Oct 2008 and as of today, I think I feel worse than I did pre-op. My throat constantly feels like there is something either lodged in it or pushing on my esophagus right behind the incision area. I am also having a horrible time sleeping. It's not falling asleep, but the waking up all through the night with a feeling like I can't get a complete breath-sort of like the throat is closing off. My voice is not at all what it was before. I get winded and hoarse if I utter more than a few sentences at a time. I have hot flashes daily, extreme cold all over my body that occurs daily and can last up to two hours, extreme fatigue daily, which could be a result of the nightly sleep issues. As a result, now I feel emotional ad depressed. I am on .88 mg Synthroid. Prior to surgery I was on .75 for about 2 yrs, then they diagnosed me with multi-goiter disease so I had the whole thyroid removed. After surgery I had to wait 6 weeks before my first blood test and then was put on the .88 dosage. I am about 2 weeks from my next blood test and Synthroid increase and I feel terrible. The swallowing/breathing problem is my biggest concern. This posting is extremely long, but I didn't want to leave anything out. Can anyone else relate to all of the things I have mentioned and do you have any solutions or answers to what I am going through?

ErikaW... I have exact symptoms as you. Had my surgery a week ago... can't sleep... breathing issues at night... cold shivers... hot sweats. Throat swallowing pain slowly going away...

So what happened? I am 7 days post op and having the same issues. I have had blood work but don't know anything yet. I am very concerned! I also have 3 small kids.

If you are having breathing problems ask for a barium swallow. It may show that something is pressing into your esophagus.

Did you get better? It is 2013 now and what you are describing is exactly what I am feeling. I wonder if you will see this as it has been so long.

Me to sitting here being hot with a normal temp then getting chills...thyroid out 2 days ago...

I spoke with my Indo endocrinologist 2 days before my surgery and was perscribed 60 milligrams of the armour thyroid medication to be taken mediately after my surgery.I had the medication with me and I'm glad because the hospital was confused about me having any thyroid medication or not. I blame my doctor for this, the ENT surgeon. He was too busy rushing out to go on vacation with his family right after my surgery, and did not make sure his orders were in place before he left. The hospital I was in was terrible. I was unable to get any rest, they were not caring, and they violated HEPA. The nursing staff was loud -as if they were running a casino at the nursing station. I lied and said I was feeling well so that I could get out of the hospital and go home. When I got home I actually started to feel better. I was ale to rest alot and eat better. The surgical dressing was very tight and it began to be uncomfortable around my neck. I was glad when the next day came, the third day after surgery, I was able to take the dressing off. The one I applied old was not as tight and it did not have to be. I continue my meds when I got home, but I added vitamins to my regiment: Complete B Complex, 1000 milligrams of vitamin C, vitamin E, and liquid iodine. I really started to feel the healing take place. I am feeling symptoms that I read about on various forums, such as chills and hot flashes. The hot flashes are not so bad but if I drink anything cold, with ice,I get so cold I have to turn on the heater to get warm. I was producing a lot of phlegm until I started taking Zyrtec which reduced the production. Lastly, frequent voiding, two to three times in an hour. That's all I have for now-this is my first post.