I had a total thyroidectomy in 11/04. Prior to that I had Hashimoto's disease for a number of years and was taking synthroid. I developed a goiter in 2002 on the right side and after usound and needle biopsy in October 2004 found that one of the nodules was cancerous. Decided for the total removal since I figured Id be back in a few years when my body started attacking the left side too. Surgery done at Columbia in NYC. Small incision, barely noticeable scar.
I've had a hoarse voice on and off for years now. When I get tired it becomes more pronounced. I no longer have voice projection nor can I sing. I've seen an ENT and been back to my endicrinologist many, many times, have had ultrasounds and there's nothing there except scar tissue. I do have reflux which I developed after the surgery in 2004 and take Nexium 40mg 1x day. I always have a post nasal thing going on so I clear my throat fairly frequently.
I did have radioactive iodine x2 (1/05 and 1/06) with full body scan. No cancer found. Endo follows me with blood work 3x a year and visits. All blood work normal, all thyroid levels normal and continue to take synthroid 1x a day. They also do a thyroglobulin test which I believe is a tumor marker. Also always negative.
I also have discomfort on the right side of my neck. No swelling. Just aches right down to my collarbone area. I have also had 2 bouts of costochrondritis (chest wall pain) that landed me in the ER.
Any thoughts? :-(

That is a little unusual and I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to post some supportive words. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing and if you have any updates, okay? HOpefully someone will come along withs ome answers for you. Hang in there!!

I have had the right side of my thyroid removed after having Hashimoto's for some time. I, too, developed a "goiter" (such an ugly word) and was in a great deal of pain. Now I am having some sort of horrible acid reflux problem and have been nausious EVERYDAY for over a week now. (My surgery was about 3 weeks ago)
I will be seeing my physician in a week to find out what we can (if anything) do about all of this.
Any information about this subject will be greatly appreciated.