I had a CT scan with contrast and the results show surgical clips in my area of thyroid. What are they there for?

Did you ever get a response to the clips in your neck. Through x-rays I just found out I have clips at my T-1 from my surgery.

Thank you,
T.

Surgical clips are completely normal and they are used and very often left in many types of surgeries and total thyroidectomy is not an exception.

These clips are made of titanium. This titanium is hypoallergenic, non-rusting, it doesn’t set off metal detectors and it is not going to be affected by an MRI machine. Clips are left in to keep blood vessels and various ducts closed after total thyroidectomy removal because otherwise you could bleed out.

Anyhow, if you don’t feel any pain or you are completely fine to live with knowing this fact than you shouldn’t be concerned about these clips. And usually you don’t know about this because surgeons are not keeping record of this so there is not written that you have clips inside your body. 

OK IF SURGICAL CLIPS ARE NORMAL AFTER A COMPLETE THYROIDECTOMY WHY DID I HAVE TO HAVE ANOYJER SURGERY TO REMOVE THEM.& WHY DONT THE DR TELL U THAT THERE LEAVING CLIPS IN UR BODY...........

Sonia Torres

Would mind contacting me about your subsequent surgery to remove clips? My wife is in a similar situation.
Thank you.

How did your surgery go. I have 25 clips in my neck...put in against my express wish by an arrogant surgeon. Facing surgery next week to remove them. They say it is a very dangerous operation, but I cannot live much longer with the metal clips in my body. I have a severe phobia about surgical implants. 18 months of psychotherapy has not cured it. Surgical removal is my last option. Did you have any complications after the removal of your clips? I have been told that I risk getting a trachaeostomy. It will be a death warrant for me if that happens. Please respond.

Wrong, Carver! It is the surgeon's choice as to which method of sealing off the blood vessels to the thyroid gland he/she uses. Many use titanium clips, believing them to be the quickest method, but others believe that dissolvable ligature thread is better, as it is less likely to get caught by a swab when the wound is being dried out before closure, thus causing a life threatening haemorage. Any surgeon who does not record the method of sealing the blood vessels is being lazy in writing his/her operation notes. I have a severe phobia about surgical implants. During a total thyroidectomy in 2010, the surgeon, who had agreed to use thread, decided to use titanium clips. It was a year before I found out by accident that he had implanted clips in my neck. He told me he had used 7 or 8, but could not remember just how many. He lied. He had implanted 25 clips. I am now facing high risk surgery to remove them. The surgeon who did this to me will be in court next year. His colleagues are horrified at what he did to me without telling me or gaining my consent.

Have to say that it makes me furious that surgeons don'keeprecords of this type of clip used in surgery.   I could write the book on to have thyroid surgery.    My chiropractor discovered my clips and I was very alarmed as my thyroid was ten years ago.

Fortunately we can now research things and not put so much trust in the medical profession

Had the surgery to remove the 25 titanium clips placed in my neck during the thyroidectomy 2010. It took 5 hours to find and remove them all, including a visit to the imaging suite for a scan to find the last one. (Done while I was under the anaesthetic....wheeled out of theatre wrapped in a white sterile sheet, wound still open!) The last clip was sitting directly on the recurrent laryngeal nerve, many more were very close to it. No wonder I had difficulty swallowing, coughing and nerve pain in my neck. This surgery cost me a lot of money. Over £19,000. The court case against the surgeon who put the clips in is going ahead. Papers will be filed against him in July. He has a lot to answer for. For anyone out there contemplating any form of surgery, if you do not want your surgeon to use titanium clips which will be left in your body, put it in writing. Insist on the surgeon signing a statement that he/she will not use them. If you are allergic to nickel be very careful, as the clips are not pure titanium. Most brands are titanium alloy, which contains some nickel. Most surgeons do not tell you this or record in your notes that the clips have been used. I feel so much better now the clips are out of my body. Good luck to you all.

Hi I too had a thyroid surgery and had shoulder and neck xrays that shows clips on each side of my neck after a removal of my thyroid.

How have you been since the removal? I have been in terrible pain,getting sick a lot,problems with calcium,vitamin d,facial swelling,neck swells up,now cholesterol levels are off,kidney function is low and I find out I have staples left inside my neck which I knew nothing about! I feel like I am dying from the inside out since surgery in 2009! I don't know what to do and can't seem to get a Dr who gives a sh*t!!

I just found out that staples were left in my neck after geting my thyroid removed it was a surprise because I was never told staples were left in my neck I now have a greater concern I have an anerisum would the staples bother me when I get a mri done is it safe, I don't know what kind they are.

I talked with my doctor and I want to get the staples removedThey caused me to have nerve damage

I feel wonderful now, thank you...all pain and most of swallowing problems gone, just left with stiff muscles in the front of my neck for which I do simple exercises every morning and they should relax given more time. The scar for the removal is on top of the scar for the thyroidectomy but the surgeon was so good that it is just a fine white line now. I had to go through the route of being assessed by a psychiatrist to get a surgeon to agree to remove the clips. It was a very risky operation and I could have ended up with a tracheostomy (breathing tube) which would have been the finish of me. Have you been tested for allergy to nickel? Ligaclips can contain this metal and you could be reacting to it. More likely you are reacting to the operation itself...do you have your thyroid function tested every 6 months? I think you need to see an Endocrinologist to get checked out. Ask your doctor for a referral to see one.

You did a wonderful job, fighting your health back !
I had vascular surgery in 2004. From 2005 on I started to have severe health problems: arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, etc. Only one year ago I discovered accidentily that I have 15 surgical titanium clips left in my legs. Surgeon didn't tell me anything, no surgery record. He refuses to take them out, stating that he doesn't see any relation to the clips and my health problems and for him titanium is totally inert in the body. Such a lie ! My MD doesn't support me neither. Could you give me name and address of the surgeon who helped you ? I'm desperate. Thanks