Hello. I'm 22 year old male and I would like to find some information about this thyroidectomy operation.
You see, I'm very worried about my mother because about a month ago she started to experience some difficulties with breathing. Of course, she contacted her doctor over this and he determined that she has some large mass in the thyroid gland and that this was causing her these difficulties. The truth is that they really don’t know what this is but afraid that it could be some tumor or similar and that’s why the doctor recommended this thyroidectomy operation- removing of the thyroid gland or one portion of it.
Are there any possible complications of this operation?

Hello. I have had this operation you are mentioning few years back and I'm feeling quite good now but during the process my doctor told me some facts I should know about this operation.
Like you probably know, thyroidectomy is an operation in which one or both lobes of the thyroid gland are removed.
Like in mine case- the procedure is usually done under general anesthesia. There are some minor and some more serious complications of this operation. After surgery it is very common to have difficulties and pain with swallowing. This pain is usually resolves within 24 to 72 hours. But the more serious complications are hypocalcaemia - low blood levels of calcium and vocal cord weakness or paralysis. Talk with your doctor over this and he will explain you all the details.

I had a complete thyroidectomy on Jan. 30, this year and did OK! Since the surgery I have had nausea, no vomiting, and terrible pain on the Right side of my head, Right ear pain, and pain behind my Right eye. I don't want to take narcotics but the head pain gets bad and I can't even complete a yawn. I hope this isn't going to be my life. I am taking a lot of calcium and the Doctor is working with me to get to a good level. I hope this level is coming soon.