hi..has anyone undergone a hemithyroidectomy for a follicular adenoma and then pathology report come back as minimally invasive follicular carcinoma..and has pondered whether to do completion surgery or not?I am going thro that right now..all the doctors say its 50-50/maybe risky not to do it and have to be hypothyroid all my life if i do it..i am completely normal now after my last surgery without taking any medications,however if i remove my other lobe also,this wont be the case.
well,if anyone is/was in the same situation with the same diagnosis(minimal invasion follicular without any other features),or if u know anyone who was/is in the same,please reply..and let me know whatever they/you did/going to do.i know all the medical facts/but i would like personal experiences..so,please reply!thanx,Mee.

I was also diagonsed with pappilary and folecular cancer last year. I was 52, female. I had a total thyroidectomy done follwed by iodine radiation theray. It took six months for my voice to get back to normal. I am getting better.

hi..what was ur diagnosis?Did u have vascular invasion?Or was the diagnosis minimally invasive follicular carcinoma?What was the size of the tumor?Mine is very small/arnd 1.4 cm and also its minimal invasion,so the doctors say it might not be necessary to have the surgery.i guess u had vascular invasion and a larger tumor growth,since u had the whole thing removed all at once plus u also had radio active iodine therapy..anyone out there with the same diagnosis as me?!

Hi - My Dr found a nodule during a routing physical on 12/06/07...I had an ultrasound and a FNA biopsy, and it was determined I had an 80% liklihood of cancer. After discussions with the Dr. I finally had a lobectomy (partial lobe) on 4/10. I had the choice of taking all or partial. We went with the partial and I knew going in that if the results from the 1st surgery came back as cancer, then I would most likely need the full thyroidectomy. The pathology report confirmed papillary carcinoma. So on July 3rd I had the complete thyroidectomy. I think that is the way to go. Because if it came back that I didn't have cancer, I wouldn't need the thyroid meds, however, it would be more difficult to detect the reoccurence of carcinoma in the future.

Hello! I was told by a doctor about a year and a half ago now that I had a very large nodule in one side of my thyroid and I should have it removed. Over the next few days before surgery the doctor contacted me again and stated that he believed we should take the whole thyroid because he was concerned I would be back in a few short years with problems in the side we left. So we did the total. Turns out I had cancer.....in the side we were going to leave. I would suggest a total to avoid any future issues.

Hi..Mee..I'm 36 yrs,female..on dec 3, 2007 i went for hemithyroidectomy and the result turns out to be MInimally Invasive Follicullar Carcinoma"..Doctor suggest to fo for total thyroidectomy as soon as possible but I'm afraid of being hipothyroid and ve to take medicine for the rest of my life and how it will affect my life with no thyroid? I ve to make decisions in this week..So did you do the total and is everything ok now Mee?thx .."MS"

Hi; I had a total thyroidectomy do to fellicular carcinoma.

That was five years ago. If I had not I would not be here now.

Unfortunately I have no energy. I have used synthroid and now am on thyroizine. No matter I still feel tired all the time. My wife thinks I'm lazy. So does my family. Depression goes along with it. I also developed type 2 diabetes. I believe being here counts for something, but this is a very lonely disease.

No one understands, nor do I myself.

If you have the procedure, make sure you take meds on time. The after affect of being late is horrible.

I feel like a snail when I miss my dose.

My email is _[removed]_.

Feel free to write if you would like. I could always handle to talk to someone who understands.

Paul

make sure before, I repeat before you have thyroidectomy either one side only or complete removal to research your surgeon! How many thyroid surgeries has he/she done? Is there a teaching hospital nearby that can have an influence on newer and better ways of taking care of the cancer?
Once the surgeon has done the surgery you can not go back. That is easy for me to say now, at the time I heard CANCER I was scared to death and only wanted to get that cancer cut out of me. So my advise to others is research your medical team before surgery. I say Medical Team because you can also check out the hospital you will or are considering to go to... How many deaths, infections, complications from this surgery? Is your surgeon who people recommend? Second opinion is always the way to go.