It's been almost a week since I had my thyroidectomy and I'm developing a brutal sore throat. Does anyone know if it's normal to have a burning sore throat after thyroidectomy? I don't know if I'm sick or if this is post-surgery symptom?

I didn't have a sore throat, but I have had tightness and main in my neck and scar for 9 months now with no relief in sight :-(

i have severe throat pain and jaw pain.
i was givin penicillin and I fell a little better-
it has been one week since my thyroidectomy

i had a sore throat for at least a couple of wks. after mysurgery due to the tube they put down there to help you breathe plus the actual surgery..it eventually all went back to normal after a month or so so i hope yours is feeling better soon.

I had a TT a little over a week ago. I am having the chills and waking up with the night sweats. I spent almost five days in bed after my surgery and I am still not feeling well. (very surprising because my 85 yr old grandmother just had a TT a few months ago and was up and running in two days!) I went for my post-op check yesterday and my DR discovered that I now have strep throat! It's been a fun week. Five kids in the house and I am married to a fireman. I feel/felt like I'm going crazy. Not too mention my surgeon thinks my Endo may have started me off on too much synthroid because I was back into a hyper mode before my surgery and and I am pretty small at the moment, down to 105lbs.....I am sure that will change eventually. I must sound crazy but I am so out of wack....I am hot, cold, can't sleep, up til midnight, awake at 4 or 5 am, did I mention very cranky, I can't even stand to be around myself. I guess this is a combination of my thyroid levels being off and having strep. I really have not had that bad of a sore throat it's more of a choking feeling, like my throat is swollen...sometimes it's an almost overwhelming anxiety kind of feeling.

Crazy stuff. Hope you all have better luck.

I had a complete thyroidectomy 8 days ago today and as of yesterday I developed a severe sore throat. I was, what I felt.. rouding the corner to feeling better. I had been up out of bed for the larger part of the day for several days and then BAM. like a ton of bricks, chills and a sore throat out of nowhere. I have not started any meds yet, but I am having night sweats and suffering from not sleeping well... but yet battling fatigue during the day. I guess Im just looking to see how long the sore throat will last??

I had a completion thyroidectomy surgery about a month ago. I had a sore throat for the first few days. However, afterward, I have not had any problems. I still feel the anesthesia in my neck, but most of the feeling in my neck has somewhat come back. I do have trouble sleeping at night and often wake up in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep. I was on synthroid prior to the surgery. After the surgery, it was increased from .050 to .075. My post op blood work and appointment revealed that my thyroid levels were within the normal range, so my dosage of .075 was not changed. I really don't feel bad at all. I feel about the same as prior to the surgery. I have to go back to my MD in six months to get my TSH levels tested again. My main concern right now is weight loss. I have always had thyroid problems and wonder if it will be more difficult now that I do not have a thyroid gland.

I had complete thyroidectomy 4 weeks ago. I had sore throat 2 weeks, but still I feel tightness in my neck. When I am on bed feel like some one is choking me... getting better very little everyday. But my neck is killing me.. i have neck pain almost all day and night. Is it normal? do I need to see the surgeon or family physician for this?

Blujay, I had a complete thyroidectomy about a month ago and felt exactly like you do. I seen family Doc and she said all muscles in my neck froze up, from my neck being in one position so long. She gave me a muscle relaxer, which is working great, and sent me to get physical therapy. I do have fibromyalgia also, so dont know if this will help you.

Hi Suzandy, I had a TT on the 10th of august... I had a sore throat for about two weeks straight.... I could barely swallow solids...and when I finally did it hurt... swalloing my own saliva hurt... so fear not... it will go away... my sore throat went away eaxactly two weeks to the day after my surgery... Hope that helps... speedy recovery!!

Same here 5 days post tt, sore throat, chills etc.. I drive semi local and deliver eggs.. I gotta go back to work this Wednesday being 6 days post..losing to much money. I'm the main money man in the house for rent and food for my kids...no resting for me just suck it up is all I can do.

I had a thyroidectomy about seven days ago and I cant still talk clearly. My voice is hoarsened and I have mucus. I am afraid my voice wont come back again.

Thats good to know my husband just had his left side of the thyroide taking oit and his throat is hurting lije crazy .

I had a total thyroidectomy and neck dissection 5 days ago and what's hurting me the most is my throat, especially when I first wake up. It hurts to swallow. Other than that, I still have the JP line, but no issues.

It's been a little over a month since I had my thyroid removed my voice is not come back to normal yet but surgeon said he might have cut one of my nerves. Now after one week of taking radioactive iodine now I think I have strep just keeps getting better. I'm just sick of being sick.

Thomas