I am going to have a throidectomy probably in the middle of July. I am very worried about weight gain and voice changes. I love my voice and do not want to gain weight. Also, what is it like when you wake up from the surgery? Thanks.

Hi..are u having a total thyroidectomy or hemi?if its only hemi,then u wont have any problems at all,other than pain while swallowing and talking for a few days,gets better after the first day.when u wake up,u might have like a hangover.then,but when u come out of it,its ok.within a week,u can return to normal activites.if u r having total,then u will need to be on thyroxine hormone to make up for ur whole gland being removed,so i guess that needs to get adjusted first,but i think a lot of people are fine even after that.I had a Hemi(left lobe) in Feb and I took an extremely hard 9 hour long exam 1 month after that..(took a week off and studied for 3 weeks)..so u should be fine!good luck.

Also,u will not lose ur voice,if ur surgeon is good.Only if the surgeon damages ur recurrent laryngeal nerve,then u will have voice loss,they r very careful.weight gain..again depends on ur hemi or total.if hemi,u wont have since ur other lobe compensates ur thyroid function.if its total,until your thyroid hormone levels r adjusted ,u might have,but when ur drug levels work for you and u do some excercise it wont be a problem i guess..should be temporary.

I had a total Thyroidectomy 2 months ago and my only worry was the weight gain info I read and heard about. I am petite and even after my operation, I have managed to stabalise my weight and have not gained. I am doing exactly what have done before my operation, that is eat healthy, excercise and make sure your Dr gives you the right dose.
My operation was very complex, as a result my voice came back after 4 weeks, my surgeon was fantastic and even with all the complexities she encountered during the op, she managed to not harm my vocal cords.
My only prob at the moment is low calcium, which results in pins and needles in my hands and feet. My Parathyroid glands are still in but are taking its time to get back on track, so I have to be on Caltrate until everything settles. As a result everything in fine!

I had a thyroidectomy 6 months ago and realizised I cannot take synthroid because of severe pain in abdomen. The doctor had me on 125 mcg a day. I now take 75 mcg a day which isn't enough. He won't prescribe Armour. What else can be done?