I'm currently 24, going to be 25 this July (non-smoker). Years ago (I think I was about 20) I tried the depo shot, and it wasn't for me. No sex drive, depressed, didn't even want to be touched - at all (not even a back rub!). I only tried the shot once, and it took a full year after that for my period to get back to normal. It just wasn't good at all.

Right now I have NO desire to have kids, so I wanted another form of birth control other than condoms. After my period was normal, and I felt OK about being on a form of birth control again, I decided to try the pill. About 2 years ago I started taking Kariva (I think that's how it's spelt). It's a generic - I think of Mircette. I was on that for a year. The concraceptive part of it worked great, and my period stayed regular. But I was very emotional and would get upset or angry easily. Also, it lowered my sex drive almost as badly as the depo shot did (my poor fiance has stood by my side thru all of these trials and errors!). So when it was time for me to go to the DR's and get a new 'script I decided to go with YAZ. I have been using YAZ for 8 months now. I'm doing a lot better on it than what I was doing on Kariva. I'm not nearly as emotional, my sex drive has increased (not like it was when I wasn't on any hormones, but pretty close), I don't get angry or upset like I did .... it's been pretty good. I still have some acne, but it's better than it was when I was on Kariva. My weight and hair loss is pretty much the same, though I noticed that my scalp itches a little more than it use to - but it's not horribly aweful. On a weird note, since being on YAZ I actually have no desire to even be around kids let alone want them. When before I started YAZ I just didn't want them at this point in time. When I was in HS I use to want children (I use to say 4), and I even took a course at BOCES to work at a day care center and did so for 2 weeks for the course - and I enjoyed it! It could just be a coinsidence because of the enocomy at this point in time, and the stress I'm under right now, but I thought it was worth mentioning since I wasn't like that until being on YAZ.

Anyway, everyone knows how bad the economy is right now, so I don't need to go into that. There's just NO WAY that I can continue to pay $59 every month for YAZ (I get it from Wal-Mart). I have been trying to do some research on what is similar, but cheaper, than YAZ. I found out that Yasmin is pretty much the same thing, only it has more ethinyl estradiol in it than YAZ does. Then I found out that Ocella is the generic of Yasmin. I have been thinking about switching to Ocella and giving that a try. I would really like to continue a BCP with drospirenone in it, as it has done wonders for me. But I just want something that I can actually afford! YAZ won't have a generic until sometime in 2011. :-(

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions and experiences and these BCP's. I know that every woman reacts differently to each pill, and I won't know how I will react to them until I actually try them, but I'm still curious as to what others have gone thru.

Thanks!

Well, I just got off the phone with Wal-Mart. I'd only be saving around $5 a month switching to Ocella. AGH!

They told me that Sprintec and Tri-Sprintec are only $9 a pack. Can't beat that! Has anyone tried them? If so, how well did they work and what type of side-effects did you have? What is the difference between Sprintec and Tri-Sprintec? ?

I really want to stay on the pill, but I also need to be able to afford it. I'm willing to go thru trial and error to find something that works, but that I can also afford. I've tried SAM-E before, and it did WONDERS for me, but I just couldn't afford to continue it with the cost of everything else. If I am on Sprintec or Tri-Sprintec I'll be able to afford it!

Please let me know what you think - thanks!

yes got ocella today. nervous to try

I was on Tri-Sprintec for about 9 months and it worked wonders for me but it was also my first time ever taking any form of BCP. I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen now and I haven't started my period yet but this is my first month taking it. I loved Tri-Sprintec though, I had occasional headaches though but that was about it, my period was ALWAYS regular, light and only lasted about 4 days. Does anyone know if it is regular to miss your period when you switch pills?

I was going to say that I switched from yaz to ocella and had no problem but my insurance makes it only $10. With all the lawsuits, i felt kind of stupid still being on occella so i plan to switch to trisprintec this comming sunday but i am afraid of the reaction my skin will have. Acne and heavy periods are the main reason I began bc pill in the first place. I have been on ocella for like 2 yrs with no problems but the lawsuit commercials flashing on tv every couple of seconds leave me feeling like i shouldnt still be taking it. Also ive been spotting and getting week and a half long periods the last 2 months and well, we cant have that. My doctor didnt seem too concerned about it but my mother is. I am praying that my skin doesnt go crazy on this trisprintec, if so I may have to stick with ocella. BTW I dont want kids anymore either... lol strange.

After years of being on kariva, I switched to sprintec about 6 months ago, because it was much cheaper. I now have a very light period every 28 days (couldn't tell if I had my period with kariva). Also, my problem with vagial dryness disappeared. Best pill I've ever been on!