I started taking birth control expecting a sure fix for my acne, but my acne got worse. It's been 2 months on Ortho Tri-Cycline Lo. My doctor put me on tetracycline and clindamycin. Should I quite taking the birth control? Is it just going to get worse before it gets better or am I having a completely adverse reaction?

Hi, I've never taken ortho tri-cyclen, but perhaps my own experience with birthcontrol may be helpful to you. I started taking Yaz birth control 6 months ago to control my acne. The first three months were horrible, my back and chest acne cleared up almost immediately but my face broke out worst than ever. I usually only break out on my cheeks and once I started taking Yaz i broke out all over my face (chin, forehead, everywhere). I wanted to get off the BC immediately but my doctor told me to give it time because my body just needed to get use to it. and she was right...i am now on my 6th pack and I have not had a breakout on my face for the last two months. not even one pimple and like I said my back and chest have been completely acne free for the past 6 months. I don't know if you have quit taking the ortho tri cyclen yet but if you can handle it I would say give it 3-4 months...Sometimes we want immediate results but it takes time for our bodies to adjust to the hormonal changes. If you don't see any changes in 3-4 mths then I would quit taking them.

I used to have REALLY bad skin!! Out of nowhere I just had a really bad break out that never went away and got worse for a year or so! SO BAD that I didn't want to leave my house. I took Ortho Tri Cycline - Blue and it didn't do anything. THEN I took it with 100mg a day of Aldactone. After all the cleaners, trips to the derm., and tetracyclins etc... the Aldactone worked and my skin cleared up in 3 days!!! It was AMAZING! There are b/c pills that have it but sometimes it's not enough. I don't have to take the Aldactone anymore but I did take it for a few years and it worked REALLY well with Ortho Tri Cycline - Blue. I switched to Ortho TriCycline LO and I broke out. The lower dosage of hormones weren't as effective.

Hope that helps! I know how tough it can be!!! Good LUCK!!

i am having the same problem! i used ot have bad acne. then i started using a 2.5% cream of benzoyl peroxide and moisturizing. my skin cleared up completely, but i still had some on my back and chest. then i started taking YAZ, this is my first month on it and face looks worse than ever before, breaking out everywhere! i am still using the same stuff i did before, but it doesn't seem to help at all. so you say after 6 packs it went away on your face??? and another question, did the breast tenderness ever go away? i don't know what to do, i want to get off it right away as well, but my boyfriend keeps telling me to relax and let my body adjsut to the hormones... :(

%-)

My acne is worse than before. I was put on generic Ortho Cyclen, (Sprintec) and immediately noticed my face breaking out. I talked to my doctor and my pharmacist about what was going on and they both told me to wait it out and it should clear up my skin within a few weeks. I have been taking it for about 2.5 weeks now. You say it took 3-4 months for it to work??? That seems so long with as bad as my acne is right now. I'll wait it out though and hope for the best!!! Thanks.

I started taking Yaz and I'm in my third week. I had mild acne before taking it (I started taking it for birth control hoping that the 90% of patients seeing improvement in acne would be a nice bonus) and now my face is breaking out worse than ever and I've started to get pimples on my chest. Gross. I'm going to call my dr. and see what she says about waiting. I'll report back if I find anything out.

I am almost finished with my second pack of Sprintec (generic for ortho cyclen) and my face has been horrible since I started! I have always had minor break outs right before my period, but never 5+ pimples on my chin at a time like I do now. I'm hoping I can wait it out and it will eventually get better. I just don't know how much longer I can give it. I am beginning to scar on my chin, and it's very bothersome! Everything else seems fine.. no other side effects so I am not wanting to switch becuase I am afraid another pill will cause side effects worse than acne. HOPEFULLY WITH TIME IT GETS BETTER! If not I'm thinking about using Yasmin. Thanks for the posts... it's nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this! %-)

The birth control may not be working because tetracycline is an antibiotic and if you read your birthcontrol antibiotics can cancel your birth control.... most antibiotics do.......

Hey yall, I just came by to give my word in about sprintec generic birth control...after being on and nearly passing out on yaz several times during my first three days on it, i quit and started taking sprintec...the first month i took it, my skin broke out worse on m chin...i would wake up every morning to 5 disgusting cysts with heads on my chin that id have to wash off with exfoliation..after the first month though, my skin was slowly getting better...whenever my period week came, my skin would actually be at its best..all my red post-acne marks seemed to even lighten as my skin cleared up!! the third month was the best and my skin was the clearest it had been and i rarely got active zits..but then i moved onto my college campus and ever since then my skin started getting random painful cysts right before my period week..this continued for the last 3 months of the 6month trial i went on sprintec...so i had rated it as a pretty good birth control since it helped me lose a lot of weight and it cleared up my skin and i probably broke out on campus cause of the dietary changes, exercise changes, water changes, etc...but i recently stopped taking sprintec after a 6month use and my skin is reeking havoc..idont know what to do its really depressing me....but yeah sprintec's not bad so no worries ladies!!

I've been taking ortho tri-cyclen for 4 months now. I started in late August just for the purpose of birth control. I had very mild, under control acne at the time... but over the course of a month, it got so worse that it was embarrassing to be in public. It only spread on my face though, no where else. On top of that, at least once every 2 weeks I would vomit and be so dizzy and nauseated all night. And my mood swings got so terrible too, I'd cry over anything. Now it's been 4 months, my acne is better, but not GONE, and the mood swings haven't lowered. The only good thing about the pill is the vomiting and nausea went away, and I'm protected birth-wise. I wonder if this is the right pill for me? I just want this unnecessary acne that STARTED with this pill to be gone! And I don't want to be so emotional and depressed! Does anyone else get this way too? Thanks.

Attempt to save everyone from what I went through: Do not continue to take the birth control if your acne is just getting worse. It wasn't ortho, but I was on Yasmin and my acne went from mild to horrible. i was told to let my body get used to it for a few months.. so i stayed on it for 5 months and it was the worst decision.. i now have scars on my face becuase i broke out in cystic acne which i had never had before. Using clindoxl and tetracycline made no difference. Everyone is different.. monitor your progress or lack of very carefully.. and after 2 months if it is still getting worse, get off of it immediately! I have now switched to Diane 35 and have had no problems.
ps. i was told that antibiotics do effect the BC pill as a birth control method, but in combination should help acne, not hinder it.

I just started my first pill of Sprintec. I have been taking Tri-Sprintec for about two months and turned into a 24/7 sob story. I think it caused some minor depresssion and me and my boyfriend's relationship got really turned up by it. He was sick of dealing with me crying over nothing and I think I was dealing with some depression and that's definitely not the person I am. I am generally very bubbly. The other side effect I noticed from Tri-Sprintec was I was constantly wanting to eat everything. I would get this motivation to just feast on everything and I gained about 10 pounds in two months. I am hoping Sprintec is something like that!! Also, Tri-Sprintec cleared up my skin amazingly! I dont think I ever had a zit in two months!!

I feel your pain, but like some people have said it takes your body time to adjust. But in my case I used to take Ortho Tri-Cyclen and it cleared up my face that was a few years back, and it slowly got better and better over a years time. Then one day I stopped taking it and went off the pill- bad idea, broke out and got progressively worse every month, started to go on my back and chest. Then I figured out it was the pills that made my skin clear, so I went back and got Tri-Cyclen low, but it didn't work as well, the dosage was too low. So I switched back to the higher dosage and its working far better.

Hey I'm just readin around to see how yaz has effected people.
well I started it for birth control and also to clear up my skin, which wasn't too terrible. BUT I am in the first month and my skin has started to break out really bad! But I'm just goin to tough it out because my doctor said it would get worse before it gets better. The breakout is simply just because of the inbalance of hormones your taking from the birth control. So I'm goin to try and be patient and tough it out atleast to the third month, and if it hasn't cleared I will stop takin it.

I started using Ortho Tri Cyclen and have broke out really bad...all around my mouth under my cheeks! The pimples are so painful! Anyhow, I know it's because I just started on this pack of birth control. I used to take the generic: tri-levlin and that worked great but I lost my health insurance and had to get birth control at a community clinic. So, now i'm sad to have switched, sad to have no health insuance and sad to have acne!! As awful as that sounds...i'm waiting it out and hopefully, this will all get better. It's such a horrible cycle though when you have bad acne, try to cover it with makeup and then just make it worse! Good luck everyone, if this doesn't work, or improve my acne in 3 months...i'm switching!!! :$