I am hoping someone there can help me. I have been told that I have a novacaine allergy, so I was tested for both types of caines, ester and something else I can't remember now. Anyway, I am wondering what an alternative to this for dental work is, since I can not have general anesthesia either. I'm hopping someone out there might now of something or someone else with this problem and how they've dealt with it. My dentist has no idea and doesn't plan to look into it and my allergist says he is not sure!!!

Hello, this may help you. I have allergies to sulfites, which are used in dental preps like novocaine, but have read about an alternative called carbocaine, which is made without the sulfites. Do not know if sulfite is what you are allergic to? You could ask your allergist about it, because sulfite allergies are quite common, and sulfites are in just about everything. I have to run the carbocaine issue by my dentist, too.

I have had reactions to the caines and other injectables. I now take a preservative free caine. The night before the appointment, day of the appointment,night of the appointment and the following AM, I take 50 mg of Prednisone and 50 mg of Benadryl.This combination has greatly decreased my symptoms.This would have to be ordered by your dentist.

I have found carbocaine without epinephrine to be my alternative to avoid the swelling, pain and 2 or 3 days of extreme tooth sensitivity form the standard anesthetic.