Hello! A month ago when I was driving down the road, I got this weird rash. The day was hot and sunny and my skin started to get red and itchy all of a sudden, and yet I started to swell. It is how it all began. Then I was diagnosed with solar urticaria. I would like to hear other people’s experiences with this allergy and what remedies you are using. Thanx

Hello there! I have been talking to many people about this allergy and only few of them have same answers about the treatment. There is no cure, that is for sure. Usually people are using sun creams with titanium oxide or zinc oxide, but they don’t seem to help much. Other use antihistamines, but they have different impact on different people. I am going to try allegro now, and see what its affect. Gotta run now! Bye

I have solar urticaria. Solar urticaria are hives (large, itchy red bumps) that develop after only a few minutes of exposure to sunlight. The hives appear within 10 minutes of sun exposure and go away within an hour or two after leaving the sunlight. People with large affected areas often have headaches and feel weak and nauseated. Photosensitivity Reactions Sunlight and Skin Damage Merck Manual Home Edition

I take antihistamines and use a sunscreen that protects against visible light.

I have created a support group for sun sensitive people. We are at
groups.yahoo.com/group/sun1/ To join, you need to join yahoo, then join our group. Please come by and say hi. Our website is at http://sun1.awardspace.com/

We are a support group for people who suffer from sun sensitivities such as solar urticaria, lupus, porphyria sun hives, photosensitivity, sun allergy, rheumatoid arthritis and more. We share our experiences and ways of coping and living with sun sensitivity such as sunscreens, clothing, hats, sunglasses and the effectiveness of medical treatments. Sun sensitivity shows usually shows up as a bad sunburn in a very short amount of time. Sun sensitivity can be due to drugs or medications, plants, phototoxicity and diseases.

See you there,
Accents

This is how mine started 2.5 years ago, one day fine next not, I tried all the usual stuff and tried staying covered up, only to make it worse. Last year I spent as much time as possible in and out of the sun, short periods at first. I built up enough tolerence to go to the beach several times, not pushing my luck I covered with a towel some and went in and out of the shade. With a tan built up I started each summer day with the redness but the itching was not as bad, and once I had exposure for the day that same area rarely got red again. Now that it's winter I have to start all over again, I just came in from a short walk swollen and itchie. Next stop tanning bed.

Steve in Va.

There is no cure for this I have taken cetrizine its works as far as the pain but the swelling and the redness still there there is a drug called scenesse its in the orphan drug trials and should be available with in two yrs I know forever away but it should do the trick! A cure! Look it up side effects are a tan! Lol I'm serious I can't wait for this to be on the market and just in time with the obama care in motion.

Hi! I have this too. I have had it ever since I went to Mexico when I was about five. I like to use self tanning lotions and a lot of aloe Vera when I started getting it. Also allergy medicines help. Hole you find this useful!

Sarah, I also got it after going to Mexico (and getting a burn) four years ago (I'm in my 40's). It's been awful and I'm miserable from Spring until Fall every year.