Are there any new treatments availible for smoke allergies? My wife is severely allergic to cigarette smoke and wood smoke. What are some treatments, that could be use to help with this?

Did you get any answer to your question from anyone?

I am also extremely allergic to wood burning smoke and cigarette smoke. Now the winter has come, and neighbors are burning logs, and I am not able to breath. I can not sleep at night because of continuous coughing. I am thinking to walk around the neighborhood and give this brochure to everyone.

If you have found any good medicine for this allergy, please let me know.

Hi There,
I am not sure if there are any treatments available to treat smoke allergy. The main problem with allergies is that they can be controlled but you can not treat them. There are medications that are called antihistamines that are used for the allergic reactions. However I am not sure how long and how much can you use these pills in order to prevent the onset of an allergy. She really needs to avoid smoke whenever she is possible. I know that this can be hard thing to do because many people smoke. I hope that your wife will be able to find a way to control this problem of hers.

All the best,
Danella

Smoke reaction is not considered a true "allergy" but rather a reaction to an irritant--such as reactions to cleaning chemicals etc...When you have an "allergy" some people get a protein-histamine response and can take antihistamines and some people can build up a tolerance over time. However, reactions to irritants do not decrease over time in the sense that you could build up an internal tolerance and usually cause greater problems the longer we are exposed to them. Especially in the case of people who have asthma. Sadly, the best bet is AVOIDANCE--remove yourself from area, wear masks, talk to your neighbors, etc. In the case of wood burning, the residue you are inhaling is actually a carcinogen just like cigarette smoke and has been known to cause serious health issues especially in children or the elderly. We live in a heavy wood-burning area unfortunately. Until the lobbying and legislature comes through, the best you can do is filter your residence, use your gas fireplace or furnace or other things that would cause negative air pressure to keep burning out of your house, ionization, etc...Or you could do what we did--change all your doors and windows to ones that seal better (which has been a life saver) and leave the area in winter.