Hi, few days ago I invited my friend over to dinner. I prepared fish. But my friend wouldn't touch it. She said that she is allergic to it. Apparently she went to the doctor's office and he determined that she is allergic to iodine. This explanation confused me a lot. Can you tell me something about iodine allergy?

Hi, iodine allergy is very rare. Immediate reaction to iodine would be visible when placing it on the skin or injected in a contrast dye in order to take better x-rays. In such cases anaphylactic shock would occur. Tongue swelling may also be present. In order to stop the iodine allergy attack, an epinephrine injection must be given so that the reaction of histamine would be stopped. Also, fish allergies point to iodine allergies. The reason for that is the richness of iodine in fish. However, people with iodine allergy often eat fish without any consequences. An interesting thing is that if a person has any kind of allergy, being sensitive to iodine is increased.

My daughter has iodine allergy when test was run on her, her legs swelled and got red. Also when she eats shrimp she gets severe stomach cramps etc. and has to be rushed to hospital for a shot.  Now years later she has large legs due to water retention. She is suppose to take water pills along with her blood pressure medicine linsiniproil, she forgets water pill. Anyway. My question is can she take omega 3, or not due to iodine allergy? or take flaxseed oil? Also she eats tunafish with no problem, could she eat salmon? Or what other fish?

Thanks,

Jean Shannon