HI, my child suffers from chronic hives all over his legs, it is a kind called dermatographisim. How can I help him since corticosteroid creams are not effective?

Urticaria or chronic hives is characterized with acute skin eruption with swelling, redness, intense itching and burning. It can be acute or acute-on-chronic or recurring. The urticaria eruptions have form of irregular shapes or round or a vertical striae. Dermatography is an uncommon type of urticaria, seen in about 4% of urticaria patients. The most annoying for urticaria patients are certainly itching episodes, which lead to restless. It may even influence person’s working activities or disturb night sleep. There is no cure, only relieving of symptoms. You can try some creams containing primrose extract to improve your son’s condition.

I have chronic urticaria (hives) as well as dermatographia. They are two separate things according to what my allergy doctor says. Hives just appear without provocation in my instance. Dermatographia are hive-like lines that occur from scratching or scratches.

I even had two episodes of this that sent me to the ER because the hives were so bad, I couldn't take it. The "picking" (as I like to call it) and itching can really get terrible. If it goes this far it sends me into a full fledged panic attack which makes it even worse.

I initially treated myself with Benadryl but it made me too sleepy to function. Food allergy testing indicated I was sensitive to peas, pears and dairy. I'm not really sure the testing is completely accurate so I plan to look into IgG and IgE testing which is more in depth. But anyway, I now take Zyrtec and Zantac which are histamine blockers and at this time is really well controlled.

Sometimes I go every other day with the Zyrtec and take the Zantac one time a day instead of two but there are actually times it really gets bad. At these times I actually may need to take a couple Benadryl.

I have had this for the last 2 1/2 years. At one time I was able to go off my meds for a few months just ending up needing them again. I have reconciled myself to the fact I will need them for life which is okay. It's better than itching and scratching and having the anxiety and sense of doom...

If this doesn't resolve with your son I would recommend you see the attention of a qualified, trustworth practitioner.

Good Luck

I too have suffered from this condition(I have the hives and the dermatographism) for 16 months ever since I ate a piece of food with egg yolks in it - which I am allergic too. The hives came suddenly as a result of the allergy but kept coming back. I have made many lifestyle changes - going to bed earlier, restarting an exercise program, being mindful of eating healthy food and trying to reduce the stress in my life. I've also ben seeing a nurtitionist/naturopath for possible candida ( I had yeast infections as well as itchy candida rash after taking too many antibiotics) I have since had many tests including hair, genetic, female circadian panel. It turns out that I am a litle short on the mother hormone DHEA which converts into female and males hormones. Somehow I feel that the hives is related to something hormonal and my urine PH being to acidic ( right now I am working on detoxing and alkalizing my PH) I've heard that female lawyers get chronic hives frequently as well as women , men and kids too. So when I think about the common denominator amongst al these people it would make sense that it could be hormone related. I know low DHEA can be caused by work stress, emotional stress, bad nutrition,partying too hard or taking too much medication which streses out the adrenals. In any case I am just hypothesizing and will investigate every avenue as I do believe there is a cause and hence a cure. When I find it I will be sure to post everything 've learnt