Why do hives appear on skin? I obviously have very sensitive skin and have hives very often. They are sometimes caused by direct contact with certain herbs or chemicals and sometimes even by indirect contact, like by air pollution. I am also allergic on nubber of kinds of food and have to avoid them. That is why I am very interested in origin of hives. Thanks in advance.

Hives are result of allergy reaction in skin that is caused by releasing of histamine from the cells. Histamine is responsible for redness, itchiness and swelling. Histamine can be triggered by variety of environmental factors. But also some plants contain substance very similar to histamine and that way cause skin allergic reaction in direct contact. They usually cause hives in all the humans. Hives are in other cases type of allergic reaction that is due to immune system response.