HELLO, I HAVE BEEN ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOR A FEW YEARS, WITH VARYING DOSES. I AM CURRENTLY PRESCRIBED WELLBUTRIN XL AND 80 MG OF PROZAC. I HAVE GAINED AN UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS. INTITIALLY IT WAS JUST A FEW POUNDS WHICH WERE VERY GRADUAL/ oVER THE LAST YEAR SINCE MY DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 80, I HAVE GAINEDAN ADDITIONAL 15 POUNDS WITH MY ENERGY LEVEL VERY LOW. NO MATTER WHAT I DO, I CANNOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT. INSTEAD, I KEEP GAINING IT. ENERGY.

I HAVE RECENTLY DROPPED THE DOSE OF PROZAC DOWN TO 40 MG. WITHIN A DAY OR SO, I NOTICED A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN MY ENERGY AND MY MOOD. I KNOW THERE HAS TO BE A CONNECTION. I KNOW ITS NOT JUST THE PROZAC, BUT IT IS DEFINITELY A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR.

WILL MY METABOLSIM CONTINUE TO INCREASE AND WILL THE WEIGHT START TO COME OFF?

If you are still on the antidepressants, then I highly suspect that your metabolism will remain unchanged solely due to the fact that you're still taking the medication. There may be a 'threshold' at 80 mg that may be 'released' when you come down to 40 mg in that your metabolism may change such that you may a few pounds that you were unable to when you were on the higher dosage, but I think your metabolism will be still be altered because you're on the medication.

Prozac has an extremely long half-live relative to other antidepressants, which makes it easier to wean off of--lesser magnitude of withdrawal side effects. Are you planning on tapering down to zero or just decreasing your dosage?

Honestly, though, I think the drug needs to be completely out of your system (somewhat like 2 months), and then some extra, extra time (months and months thereafter) for your metabolism to recalibrate. Everyone is different, but I think if you go off the meds, your weight will return to normal (albeit: very, very slowly, months to years).

Went off prozac after gaining 6 pounds because I had experienced SSRI weight gain. I figured I nipped in the butt only being on it for 3 weeks. Nah. how about 4 months on nothing and 25 more pounds. Then an additional 4 months stable. Then it slowly started to come off.

You say, " No matter whhat I do." In weight loss, and exercise sometimes it takes a Professional Trainer at your local gym , to help you to develop a Personal Weight Loss Program just for you. I have been working out at gym for many years, and my 1st year is the year I lost at least 50 lbs exercising and eating high protein , like chicken and fish, and very low fat and high fiber too, like fiber cereal and flax seed in smoothy's too.