I just started taking Prozac (the generic) yesterday. On the 1st day I could already feel a difference in my energy level. I have rid myself of the desire to just lay in bed all day with little to no energy (i think). I am surprising myself with the amount of energy I have.

However weight gain is a major concern of mine. I almost did not start taking this because of the concern. Through talking to people who have "known someone on it" they told me that they only heard of people losing weight on the drug and getting lots of energy. On the other hand I have researched online and found that it is loaded with testimonials of people who are rapidly gaining weight on it.

Therefore I believe that not everyone gains weight, but some do. Everyone is different and everyone has a different reaction to the anti depressant. Judging by your experience of taking Prozac, how soon can you tell if your body will react to it through gaining or losing weight?

I was wondering how you are doing and if you have seen an increase or decrease in your weight?

Cat.

Hi Cat,
Cute name by the way! :-) Two weeks and three days have gone by since I started taking prozac. First and foremoste, I want to say that this is an important topic to me because weight gain and/or loss was a deciding factor whether or not I was willing to take the drug or not. I read A LOT of negative feedback on the internet which scared me into almost not taking the drug. However I decided to find out for myself since there was not definite answer and by doing so I have made some of my own theories and thought about this topic. I am not a doctor and the following is solely my perspective and observations from my own personal experience.

Since I was completely hyper paranoid about weight gain, I started to concentrate on the weight watchers online diet. I have lost ten pounds, but since my cycle (monthly period) is starting this week I have gained 5 pounds from water rentention so I am not alarmed because the 5 pounds is natural and I am sure it will go away. Another thing I made sure to do is continue my workout regimen. I regularly practice yoga a minimum of 3 times a week, but did not start losing weight until I started the prozac and was more conscious of my eating.

How prozac affected my appetite and craving:
Immediately on the first day I noticed that when I take prozac, I am less hungry but I have more energy. I actually lose my appetite which makes it easier to eat less and make healthier choices when I do decide to eat. For example, I enjoy Fiber one cereal in the morning or a granola bar perhaps some fruit such as a banana or grapes. For lunch I eat a high fiber low carb turkey wrap sandwich with dijon mustard a little bit of mayo and lots of tomatoe & lettuce. For dinner, I usually try to skp because I am not hungry but if my stomach hurts or I am hungry then I'll make a huge delicious salad with sliced almonds, bacon bits, tomatoe and dried cranberries with a dressing of my choice (usually non dairy ranch but a vinagrette would probably be better).

How prozac affected my mood:
Before I began taking prozac, I always wanted to stay in my bed. I didn't want to get out of my apartment. I would just lay around and want to eat all the time because I think I was an emotional eater. I never wanted to work out. Running errands were a chore and I always put them off as long as I could. Now that I am taking prozac 20 mg, I love getting up in the morning to get my day started. I make a list of chores I need to get done and actually do them! I still love to lay in bed which I think is normal haha BUT I get EVERYTHING that needs to get done 1st including working out and then I allow myself time for rest and relaxation when I am all caught up with everything. I feel much happier, more optimistic, and greatful for the drug Prozac for allowing me to get my life back. I was depressed and I didn't even know it.

My theory to weight gain/weight loss on Prozac:
Here is what I believe. Some people eat when they are depressed and some people eat when they are happy. Prozac releases the chemical in your brain to allow you to be more happy because of a chemical deficit caused in the brain. Now, I know myself. I know that when I am depressed I eat. When I am happy, I don't need to eat as much. The fact that I am now happy and I felt an immediate change once I started taking the prozac made me eat less. Before I was depressed and I ate more. I even started to gain weight (which is why I was so paranoid to begin with about weight gain). Each person is an individual and I believe that it depends on the person whether or not Prozac will affect weight based on his or her current pattern of eating.

Conclusion:
If you are taking Prozac and you are gaining weight which is counter productive to your treatment perhaps Prozac is not the correct choice or pill for your treatment. I am sure there is another pill available for you that will work better because Prozac is not made for everyone. I hope that this answered your question, Cat. And I also hope that anyone reading this finds it equally as helpful because it can be discouraging reading other posts that only state the negative effects of Prozac and not all of the positive benefits. If there are any other experiences or insight to share, please reply. Thank you :-)

I had a very similar experience with prozac.
i lost weight and am so much happier and healthier. I was initially prescribed prozac three years ago and did not take it as i was worried about weight gain. however i decided to give it a shot last year and am so much happier now and i have lost about 5 kg.. which i think is amazing.
the weight loss seems to have leveled off which is fine i just hope that i do not pick up the weight again!

i was also wondering that if i stoppped and then restarted the prozac at a later stage would i loose weight again?

Hello, I would like to see if the OP could say how things are going after all this time? it would be a great help to me thanks you in advance. :)

I've lost 14lbs in a week being on prozac

I'm on day 5 and I have no appetite and no hard cravings for alcohol or wine. I have a glass a night and I sip slowly now instead of drinking my problems away...the problems still exist, but somehow I am able to manage, cope and have a strong desire to fix the problems and do something about them,.better myself etc get out of bed., excersize, instead of drinking my sorrows away. I feel like I will be normal soon. real.soon. good luck

Hi I Have Started Prozac About A Month Ago. And Since I've Started I've Lost 6lbs. 165-159lbs. So yes It Does Make You Lose Weight.

No kidding wow!

Just read a few of the posts.. ashame these were posted a year ago. i just started taking prozac today. My concerns were about weigt gain are now gone. Agree if my mind and thinking is in a better place than I too will amke better choices and do less emotional eating.I am alittle concerned about having any side affects that would affect me at my job. I work 3-11 -5 days a week and have to be at 100%mentally. I can not be cloudy or loopy? Can anyone add any advice to that. I have read on a couple other cites brusts of energy etc. which would be welcomed. i have also read about symptoms of cloudiness that would def. hinder my job performance. Any input as far as experiencing one vs the other?? I have so many hopes for prozac..

My doctor started me on a low dose and slowly raised it over 3 weeks. I had headaches at first but not bad and it's week 3 and I feel good. I am losing weight but not by any miracle. I am back to exercising and eating clean. I do believe that the fluoxetine is helping me not feel the need to binge or feel overly sad. So that does help me to eat better and make better decisions (like getting up in the morning to exercise). I think my appetite has lessened some from the medication actually.
Tomorrow I start on 20mg of the drug. I'm looking forward to it. Im so glad that my doctor stared me on a low low dose and worked me up to it.

So glad I found this post!  I have had Prozac (generic) for about a couple of weeks-afraid to take it.  I am in denial about being depressed I think.  I keep thinking I can get out of this on my own-without Prozac, etc. but each day that goes by is another wasted day.  I just can't figure this out, I want to stay home and be lazy (I've gotten FAT too) and not do anything but look on computer and eat. 

I think I will start the Prozac in the morning-at least give it a try unless I just hate it the first day.  Which is what has happened in the past when taking Wellbutrin about a month ago.  I don't even give them a chance. 

I wish my Dr. had started me on low dose first-but he didn't, darn it!  Well, I will let you know how I do soon!  I welcome any advice or comments

So, how are you feeling now? Want to know a month old reviews on this medication plz

I have been on prozac a little over a month. I have lost 10 pounds already & I am feeling much better. Like every one on here, I didn't want to sart an antidepressant because of the known "weight gain" and was willing to continue To be miserable, that is how strongly I was against weight gain. My doctor told me prozac was one of the main drugs that didn't cause weight gain. I'm super happy I started it. I feel like a new person and the weight loss is even better :)

I have also been on prozac a month, feeling better. I have also lost 10 pounds. I really think this has been a blessing to me. Hope this helps