Hi all,

I am 26 years old and can't take contraceptive pills due to migraines so have always swapped between Depo contraceptive injection and the implant - which I love both due to no periods. Ive recently started to try and lose weight (3.5 stone) which I find so hard to do and have always been such a binger; so I need all the help I can get.

A friend told me that Depo can encourage weight gain and when I asked the nurse about this she said that most of her patients reported that they gained a stone in weight due to increased appetite! However doing some research it seems that all contraceptives do, due to the hormones in them.

Right now, I'm considering stopping long term contraception and going onto condoms as dieting is hard enough without an increased appetite. I'm not thrilled on the idea but I'm not sure where what else to try.

Please can people tell me their experience of weight gain (or not as the case may be) with different contraceptives