I am (was) 10 kg overweight. I have been exercising and eating better for some time now, since having my son. I have tried a few quick fix things like shakes and herbal pills, with no success.. but I have genuinely working for the past few months at eating well and not eating take away and walking with a friend of mine and the prams. I even joined the gym and do body pump and body balance regularly. My weight went down a kilo or two initially but last fortnight I gained back 2 kg and then today I discovered another 2 kilos. how do you gain four kilos in a month whilst exercising and eating BETTER than before? ?? i think if I go to my dr. he will probably just brush it off as me not working hard enough or something but something must be up?! or do I have to really cut back to like no calories no fat nothing else but fruit and veg all the time or something like this? does anyone have any ideas? I was concerned I was like six months pregnant and just hadn't realized but even pregnant people lose weight, so that wouldnt even explain it!

I'm not sure I am clear, but if you are pregnant, you should not be dieting and you should be gaining some weight. I hope that you are not dieting while pregnant. The key for you is to eat the right foods and have the correct caloric intake so that you can deliver a healthy baby. Dieting can be deadly to your fetus. If you are not pregnant then Google this term, "Food Pyramid." You will see what your daily diet should look like. If you want to lose weight, then eat good foods, stay in your caloric margin, but increase your activity. Be careful with 0 fat too. You need to have some. Again, get counsel if you are pregnant and expect to gain some weight. If you are eating the right things and staying withing your daily requirement, (for the most part), you should be fine. Seek out a different doctor if you can't talk to yours. Communication with your doctor is very important. He/she can't properly treat you if he/she is not listening. There are many good ob/gyns out there. I hope you will find one soon. Best wishes...Let us know how you are doing.

Please remember that fat weighs less per volume than muscle. It is possible to gain weight while working out because you're replacing your fat with muscle, and that's the plausible explanation. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about at this point. I think the best thing to go off when you're exercising (and you're only about 10 kg overweight so that's possible) is how you look, not necessarily your weight. You should be proud of your progress!