Hi I used to be anorexic but I am now at a healthy wieght but I keep gaining more weight. I exercise at least every other day running or doing wieghts, but I am still gaining. I have been trying to eat healthy but sometimes I have an occasional laspe. This has really been discouraging and I feel like not eating anymore. Do you have any suggestions. I also have still not have my period for two years and do not know why since I am not under weight. My mom said it is probally because I exercise so much. However if that was the case why would I keep gaining weight. I want to be heathy and right now I feel horrid. Please help. Thank you

Hi:
You sound really healthy. Congratulations.....If you are lifting weights, you are building muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat. The muscle will cause your scale to indicate weight increase. This is completely normal. This does not mean that you are on your way to being too heavy. I would advise putting the scale away. It is contributing to your worry. You are on a great track. If you have a support system regarding your anorexia, perhaps you should contact them so that you did not slip backwards. It sounds like you are doing really great. If you feel yourself panicing, as for help. Congratulations again.

Firstly well done!

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat so do not listen to the scale!

if your done your anorexia home work you will know that lack of muscle brings on a tons of problems later on in life.
So be grateful for the increase, that and the fact that your old droopy, flat anorexic bum is probably gone.

If you feel you are gaining more than just mussel, remember that your body used be be starved so now that it is receiving food it is going to store in case it is starved again. eating regular healthy meals will make it relax, release storages and not feel the need to store again.

My clinic told me a story of a recovered balimic, she had a bad week end, binged once and purged twice.

in a week she gained 4kg!
her body simply when into survival mode, due to her past abuse.
She eventually lost it.

teaches us we may feel in control of our bodies now but later on they will be in control of us with all the side effects due to our forced starvation!

I am in recovery and a year ago, they told me my body would let go of the weight it had acquired during my 10 years of anorexia. Enough years of restriction and over exercise will throw your body in a funk, my effort is definitely not paying off. I am so angry that I can't lose weight, and I can't even try because trying = back on the ED track. I work out at least 5 days a week, some days very hard and I always watch what I eat, my Husband says its always "measured." I'm not binging. My body doesn't know what the heck to do, 10 years was a long time.

I would recommend a very supportive nutritionist that is specialized in eating disorders. Mine has kept me from the brink many times and I thank God for her. I feel huge and I know I look huge and its embarrassing to say I'm in recovery because I am not skinny. Please discuss these feelings with a specialized therapist. I told one once what I was doing (restricting) and he pulled up a BMI chart and told me I could stand to lose a few, so please make sure they are specialized. I know I'm overweight, why do you think I'm trying so hard to lose it?

Long story short, I get it, I'm there now, but asking for some help will definitely help you to figure out what needs to be done to be healthy, not skinny. Be careful not to over exercise or restrict.

I'm majoring in the anatomy of human functions, and can tell you that an initial weight gain of unwanted fat is perfectly normal after having an eating disorder. When you stop eating or cut your calorie count to such a low number, your body hardly has to metabolize anything. Therefore your metabolism gets into the pattern of being lazy and not metabolizing at a regular rate. Your metabolism functions like a muscle in the sense that if you stop using it, then it will get out of shape. It needs time to strengthen an catch up, because going from not eating to eating (even with a healthy diet at a gradual rate) is going to shock it. This demand is asking an fairly unused body function to suddenly increase it's workload. Unfortunately the only way to strengthen and get your metabolism back to normal is by eating regularly. this change or catching up can take a long time, depending on how long you've been letting your metabolism rest by not eating. So don't expect sudden changes this can take up to years, which I'm sure isn't what you want to hear. However, your diet and exercise can make an impact on how much weight you gain. Instead of running, try walking. The body content that is burned from walking is about 80% fat, compared to running which burns only about 20%. Running will also make you gain muscle (which is fine), just know and expect that it may be bulkier and weigh more. This also applies to weight training. Weights while they can be used in toning regimens they will also make you put on more muscle. I would suggest a low intensity yoga class, extra efforts to walk the dog, and maybe walking instead of driving when possible. In terms of diet it sounds like your staying on track, but may also suggest increasing your protein intake? Proteins are awesome when trying to maintain a healthy weight. They body will use and absorbs what it needs of them, and almost all of the leftovers are removed from the body, and what extra it does store usually goes to muscle ( great compared to the thighs, stomach, butt etc). Just make sure it's white meat like pork, and light meat turkey. Eat ham and pork sparingly, and steak is fine but should only be eaten on occasion. Fish is also great the omega found in it will also do wonders for your hair and skin. Finally, when working out so much you will want to be sure your keeping up with your carbs. I highly recommend anything whole grain over white bread, regular pasta, potatoes, egg noodles, etc. Whole grains don't break down as quickly, therefore they will leave you fuller for longer. This also means that they are less likely to store as fat if you overdo it and consume more than what your body needs. I hope this helps!

Sorry realized I made a typo meant to say " make sure it's white meat like chicken, and light meat turkey" ^^^^^