i hav e had a total thyroidectomy and now have to take liothyronine one three times a day ,i have heard that you gain a lot of weight after this operation this as rearly depressed me i put on a stone and could not shift it before the operation,could you tell me if this is right.

thank you v upton

Well post surgery it is possible to gain weight as you recuperate from the physical problem. On top of that you got your thyroid taken out so that will cause some weight gain. I don't think that it's totally unrealistic for you to be able to manage that weight although it might be a bit more of a challenge now. Keep us posted on your exercise regimen if you decide to undertake one!

after thyroidectomy patients do gain wt...thyroid harmone regulates the metabolic activity of body,in hyperthyroidism pt loses wt coz of increased catabolism,and in hypothyroidsm or in absence of harmone there in no catabolism so metabolic products which r not catabolised are stored in the body as fats....there is nothing to worry about,take your medicines regularly take a balanced diet and keep xercising!!!