I used to be super skinny, but I gained some weight. I'm trying now to loose all excess fat I've put on. I read up on websites on the most effective way to loose weight, and I followed it to the best I can. I'm a vegetarian, so I take supplements like protein shakes. I run for half an hour before I hit the weights. I've cut down on the junk I eat. I only eat at home, but when I do get hungry I'll go to subway not mcdonalds or burgerking. Yet, even after all that hard work, I put on more weight. I'm now borderline overweight, what am I doing wrong? Why has my weight increased so much when I've been trying to loose it?

My clothes fit fine still, so could it be muscle? How can I tone up effectively by gaining muscle mass but loosing fat?

All depends on what your actual definition of weight gain is. It can be from a number of things, if your getting a gut, flabby arms, ect.. it may come down to your metabolism. If your starting to notice that things are just getting large in size and non flabby it might just be muscle. By medical standards I'm considered obese I'm 5 foot 7 inches and weigh 205 pounds. But yet my arms are not small nor are they flabby from fat, there quite a bit of a combination of tone muscle and flat out muscle mass. Feel your body a bit, if your feeling flabby well then your metabolism isnt working properly, if your noticing some hardening around your arms stomach muscle. Hope this helps out somehow.

Gained weight can be muscle, yes. That said, it could be fat too if you are eating too many calories. Subway is generally pretty healthy but it can still rack up calories if you have a lot of it.

I do agree with Jcgr,  their could be many reason of increasing weight that is over eating disorders, stress eating, weight can be increase due to imbalance in hormones... in case you would like to clear your doubt you should consult your doctor. Its better to have a clear reason and start working on it.