Hello, folks. My friend died from a stroke several days ago. I don’t know why this happened. I hear that he was administrated heparin. I wonder whether heparin can cause stroke. What do you think? I would be very grateful if someone could reply me. Thank you for replying. Bye, guys!

Hello, there. I doubt that heparin could cause stroke. Heparin has the opposite effect. It is used as anti-coagulant. It means that it prevents blood from clotting. Blood clots are the most responsible for stroke. Heparin is used in the treatment for acute stroke or acute heart attack. It can destroy fresh blood clot. That is why it isn’t possible for heparin to cause stroke. You can check this with a doctor. I hope I’ve helped.

Hey Reagan, I wouldnt be to sure about heparin not causing the stroke. I am a dialysis patient and I get right much heparin during treatments. New years day i had 2 strokes and 2 sezures. I did recover however when I returned to dialysis the will not give me heparin anymore. They said that giving me heparin may cause me to have a stroke again so I'm not sure that the heparin did cause my strokes and I am going to investigate into it more to see what happened. The doctors are still lost on what caused my strokes and are still running test (ct scan, MRI, EEG, Angio, etc.) to figure out what happened. Sorry about your friend.

hi ,
why was your friend given the Heparin?
if your friend had a DVT and Heparin was given there may be the chance the Heparin has dispursed the clot and bits of it has travelled up to the brain causing a stroke ,
hope this helps

Hi no herparin (clexane) can't cause stroke. It's to thin the blood. I inject once daily to prevent my blood clotting. I'm also 35 weeks pregnant with 2 previous strokes age 21 and 24.

My father died from stroke related complications caused by an allergic reaction to heparin. He went in for a stent and never came home. He was gone the next day.

This medicine may cause new blood clots to form in some people while they are receiving the medicine or after it is stopped. My mother just had a stroke because of this drug. Soon as they stopped giving it to her with hours she had a stroke. 2 months later she dies. All she had was a UTI infection. Doctors thought she developed an Afib. I have been doing a lot of research on this Heparin. I do believe my mother would still be with us if not giving this drug!

I was researching heparin. My Mother went into the hospital with UTI and as soon as she went in the hospital they began administering 5,000 units of heparin every 8 hours. In 48 my Mother had a heart attack. She died.

My father past from strokes and internal bleeding from adverse reactions to Heprin as well. They caught it too late.

Sorry about your lost of your mother , i too lost my mother in 11 2017 she had been given heparin ivy due a history of dvt but i told the nurse that mom is on xarelto nurse told doctor and later came back to my mothers room and took her off the heparin ivy on sat 11 18 im going to file a complain to the texas medical board so they investagate

As did my uncle. Allergic reaction to the Heparin. He as well never got to go home.

If you experience a condition called Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia you can most certainly have a stroke due to a blood clot. Look it up.