Hello! My mother suffers from arthritis. She has problem with her joints. She feels morning stiffness; sometimes her fingers are swelled and hurt. She used to take many different over the counter pain killers and now she has been taking naproxen for some time. It helps her a lot in relieving pain and inflammation. But, I heard that naproxen can increase risk of heart attack and stroke, is it so?

Hi! Naproxen is usually used to treat the signs and symptoms of arthritis and I know many people who use it and feel relieved. You are right; it can increase the risk of heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke. The longer you use it the risk is higher. It is forbidden to use it before or after having heart bypass surgery. If your mother feels the symptoms like chest pain, weakness or shortness of breath she should seek medical help.