Hi, guys. I know that all elements are important for proper cell functioning. I would like to find out something more about potassium. What can happen if you don’t have enough of this element in your body? I would appreciate all your replies considering this. I hope answering my post won’t bother you much.

Hi, there. Low potassium level in body is also known as hypokalemia. Usually, this loss is caused by intestinal or kidney reasons. Potassium is very important in repolarization of neuromuscular cells. When the levels are low, then repolarization is compromised. This can manifest as muscle weakness. There also can be muscle aches or muscle cramps. There can also be heart symptoms as arrhythmias or palpitations. I hope this helps. Bye!

Low potassium in body can lead to several complications that are not good for our body. Sometimes the condition can be even life threatening. The low potassium levels in our body can be caused by chronic kidney failure, diarrhea, sweating, vomiting, diabetic ketoacidosis and excessive use of laxatives. Have you done any blood test? What is your level of potassium in blood?
If you experience weakness or any muscle cramps along with constipation and fatigue, you can almost be certain that you have low potassium levels in your body. You will have to have blood test to make sure how low your potassium is. Your doctor will prescribe you some medication and will probably change your diet a little bit.