I spent 4 nigths in the hospital with a BPE last month. No clotting problems before nor a history in my family so came as a shock. I'm 39 and never had any heath issues in my life. I was recently diagnosed with a blood disorder and told I'll have to take warfarin for the rest of my life. My doctor told me no binge drinking. (Is there any other kind?) I don't drink every day. But once a month or so I like to buy a case of beer at home or go to Vegas for a few nights and drink while I'm there. On these occasions I will drink 10-16 beers a night. There is no way I will accept not being able to drink beer for the rest of my life. I understand you can't drink on Coumadin (I would never drink one or two beers at a time). What happens if you stop taking Coumadin for a few days every month or so and drink? How dangerous? How long does it take for Coumadin to clear your system? The reality is this is what I'm likely to do when I feel like drinking.

There are certainly other types of drinking aside from binge drinking. You can have a drink per night, or you can drink socially, perhaps two or three. Your drinking is definitely bingeing, and I'm sorry to report to you that if you stop taking Coumadin, you will be putting yourself at risk for clotting. I suppose that if you are unwilling to give up drinking that you can stop taking it, but you are seriously putting yourself at risk for this. I don't mean to sound like I am lecturing because I do not intend to. It's just that it seems to me that you are willing to put your health at greater risk just to keep drinking in binges. It is ultimately your decision to make, but this is the reality of the situation.

Problem is that no doctor can tell how alcohol will interact with Coumadin for YOU. Personally, I binge drink, sometimes for a week straight while in Vegas or on vaction and have only noticed a slight increase of my INR. Yes, a 12 pack with a few shots is excessive but not a problem for me. Cheers!!!

I'm 17 and I have blood clots in my lugs is having two jobs and always being on my feet healthy.

thanks for your input champ