I have had 4 heart attacks, 2 strokes, 5 way bypass surgery, have 8 stents, and on my second pacemaker/defibrillator. I have been on plavix for 7 years.

If I stop taking plavix and continue to take warfarin, what health risks (if any) could I face? I thought both were blood thinners developed to treat different things. Was I wrong? Would one be able to work to cover both treatments?

Wow, Big Daddy, you have been through a lot! The fact that you have survived demonstrates your tenacity and will to survive. It also shows the skill of your physicians in administrating life saving techniques, procedures, and prescription medications to keep you with the living.

It appears your doctors believe your condition warrants the use of both Plavix (clopidogrel) and warfarin (Coumadin).

Coumadin is a powerful blood thinner and has been used for years to prevent strokes, heart attacks, clots in the legs and the lungs. But it is very powerful and can cause hemorrhaging if not monitored regularly.

Plavix, a much newer drug, is safer. It works by stopping blood cells, called platelets, from clumping together and forming blood clots.

I would not stop taking Plavix without physicians consent. The doctor has you on both thinners for a reason. Talk to him. Ask him if it would be dangerous or beneficial to stop taking Plavix. Don’t take matters into you own hands. After all, those very smart doctors have kept you kicking through all your trials and tribulations so far. Trust them!

why take plavix and warfarin together