Hey all,
I just stopped taking Coumadin (warfarin) wednesday night and I was wondering would it be safe to drink alcohol on saturday night? Do you need to let the coumadin work its way out of the system? Or is it fine to start smoking tobacco and drinking again? Please let me know asap as my buddies and I are eagerly awaiting this day.

Thanks

normally coumadin effect will last for a day, so i guess it's ok for you to drink alcohol

Such a long time ago for this post but this is perfect example of why the internet is not the best place for medical advice... I'm a health professional who works in a coumadin clinic and the effects of warfarin last > 1 day... It can take anywhere from 3-5 days depending on many factors (e.g. renal function, etc.) for a patient to have INR levels back similar to someone who is not on any anticoagualation. Coumadin has a build up effect so this is the reason for the time...