Hello. I watch today some discussion on TV. Themes were strictly medical. Today’s subject of discussion was disease called multiple myleoma.
Many experts were saying that frequency of this disease in USA is in big growth last couple of years. Also they were talking about the estimated frequency of multiple myleoma in future ten years. One expert said that this is a very serious disease and that’s connected with modern way of living.
No one said anything about disease it self. What kind of cancer it is and how helpful are some new therapies that they mentioned?

I think I can answer on some of your questions. I’m a student of medicine on fifth year of studying.
Multiple myeloma is a progressive hematologic (blood) disease. It is a cancer of the plasma cell, an important part of the immune system that produces antibodies to help fight infection and disease. There are two types of cells that are involved in immune response: first are T-cells, which grow in thymus, and
B-cells that grow in lymph nodes. Problem is with these B-cells.
When they are needed to fight disease or infection they should transform into plasma cells which produce antibodies. That is impossible in multiple myeloma because they transform into malignant plasma cells. These myeloma cells travel through the bloodstream they are damaging normal tissues.
There are several promising new therapies that are helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Like all cancers-real causes are unknown although there are some informations that it can be provoked by modern way of living.

please help our family

terri wrote:

please help our family

Hello there Terri!

I would like to help you and talk to you. Do you know what exactly multiple myeloma.is? It is a cancer of the bone marrow. There is no cure yet but it is treatable and many treatments and approaches help patients live longer lives. Also, so many researches are being done on new treatments for this disease.

The best way to deal with this disease is to learn as much as you can about it.

Tell me, who has been diagnosed with this illness in your family? This person needs support and care from you, certainly not tears and panic. You need to make sure this person laughs on regular basis and knows that he/she has a strong family that will support him.

The treatment of multiple myeloma is dependable on person’s age, overall health, myeloma’s stage, etc. It may include radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and autologous stem cell rescue with post transplant immunotherapy.

If you have any information about the development of the disease in your family member or you just feel like talking, write me a line or two.

What is meant by a "modern way of living"?

To anyone who wants to know, my dad was stricken with this cancer a year ago. We almost lost him within 3 weeks of finding out. There are a lot of things to consider when you deal with this cancer. We go to a hospital in Little Rock Ark. Its the best in the nation, from what I understand. He is still going but a lot slower. He hasn't bounced back very well from the last dose of chemo he's had. We went through the transplants and he was in remission for about 6 months of that time and felt pretty good. There are 3 types of this cancer and each has its different problems etc. Of course, we got the worst one, but I guess it has to happen somewhere. I have been where you have been terri, Ill check back here, if you want to hear more or ask questions, I will give honest answers only, as there is no point to hide what is out there if you look in the right place. It help a lot if you catch it early. Everyone out there if you are over 35 (the youngest I have seen in LR), don't let pain that continues, night sweats, weight loss, pnumona, or other infections, diabetes etc. fool you, it could be this and you need to know sooner rather than later.