My father went to a doctor because he had frequent pain in back. He was diagnosed with myeloma. We all noticed that he lost some weight and that he was depressed sometimes. I am so worried about him and I still don’t know what myeloma is. Please, does anyone know what myeloma is and how it is treated.

Myeloma or multiple myeloma or myelomatosi is a type of disorder of the plasma cells. Blood cells look and work differently, but they all repair and reproduce themselves in the same way. New cells are produced to replace old, worn-out cells in an orderly, controlled way. However, in myeloma the process gets out of control and large numbers of abnormal plasma cells, myeloma cells, are produced. They fill up the bone marrow and interfere with production of normal white cells, red cells and platelets. Myeloma cells have the ability to spread throughout the bone marrow and into the hard outer casing of the bone.That way many areas of bone may be affected. It can cause thinning of the outer bone and bone pain. Symptoms that your father experienced are common for this condition. I can’t tell you how it is treated; you should refer to a professional about that. Take care.