I am curious what is tegretol alike? My 19 years old daughter is diagnosed with bipolar
Disorder and is prescribed 100mg of tegretol daily in combination with lithium and also with gradually increase of tegretol. Anyway I never heard of tegretol before though I now about lithium but am curious now what’s tegretol like regarding its effectiveness and possible side effects and is it dangerous combining it with some other meds also. Thanks so much!

Tegretol is usually being prescribed in order to decrease seizures and nerves pain so it is good in treated epilepsy and serious anxiety conditions but also could be effective in treating patients diagnosed with mania and bipolar disorder. Anyway try not to combine tegretol with no other meds without discussing it with her psychotherapist first including over-the-counter and even herbal, vitamins and minerals and not to mention other heavy drugs or alcohol for if tegretol is combined with it than the seizures may become even worse. As about tegretol side effects –those are practically the same as with any other heavy drug so most common tegretol side effects are dizziness, headache, nausea and vomiting, rapid heart rate, dry mouth and joint paint and muscle weakness but also tegretol may cause some more serious side effects such as breathless, high fever, easy bruising and bleeding, less urination and extreme fatigue-if such is the case then you should consider the possibility your daughter switch to some other anticonvulsant.