Hi, I am in my early twenties. Couple of months ago, I was diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy. Seizures and nerve pain caused by this condition is really unbarring. I have been on some medications but they did not help a lot. Because of that, the doctor prescribed me tegretol. Do you think that tegretol will help me?

Hi, tegretol belongs to the group of drugs called anticonvulsants. Its' action is based on decreasing nerve impulses that cause seizures and pain. It is usually prescribed as a first line of defense. Tegretol should be introduced gradually starting with lower concentrations. In time the concentrations should be increased. The most common side effects of tegretol are: headache, dizziness, blurred vision, doubled vision, drowsiness, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. The thing about this medicine is that it is not completely studied. Tegretol will not help you alone. It has to be combined with other drugs and in that case, a study must be made so that the two drugs will not affect one another in a bad way. If the drug is used properly it will offer you some relief. I am sure that the doctor prescribed you with the right combination that will help you with the seizures and the pain.