Hello! I have only recently moved out of my parents’ house and started cooking for myself. On my first trip to supermarket with my grocery shopping list in my hands I have noticed that there are things I have never noticed before. First of all I have noticed that there are white and brown eggs, and that they have different prices. I was at a dilemma which to buy since I was not sure what was the difference. Maybe someone here can help me and tell me what’s the difference between white eggs and brown eggs?

Hi! I know what the difference is. It is the color! I am not trying to sound ironic; it is really the only difference between the white eggs and brown eggs. I have read it in the magazine recently. I am sorry to say that I don’t know why the price of the brown eggs is higher since it also interests me too. Maybe someone else can tell us both?

Hello! I have also read an article that says that the color of the shell has nothing to do with egg quality, nutritional value or flavor and doesn’t justify the cost difference. I have heard though that the type of hens that lay brown eggs eat more since they are bigger breed, which might be the reason the price of brown eggs is higher for the consumers. I think your dilemma is resolved. You can buy any color- the taste will be the same!

The only difference is the color of the chickens ears. Chickens with white ears lay white eggs. Those with red ears lay brown eggs.

At one time most brown eggs came from farms where chickens roamed free and white eggs mostly from commercial producers. Suposedly the free range diet made brown eggs taste better and so more in demand by cooks in the know that was one of the reasons for the higher price. Since commercial producers started in the brown egg sector however diets are basically the same so no taste difference but the price difference is still there. For good eggs try driving down a country road a looking for the house with the sign out front advertising frash eggs

BTW, if you want to hardboil eggs bought like this let them sit a few days. Fresh eggs are much harder to peel than older ones.

It depends on the breed of chicken. They are all the same on the inside but different breeds of chickens produce different color eggs. Brown are more expensive because the birds that lay them are bigger, eat more and lay less. If you want a healthy egg color isn't where you look. Look for free range or local eggs.

The difference between white and brown eggs is simply that.. white eggs are hatched by chickens in Poultry farms. These chickens are bred and sustained souly for the purpose of poultry. These are also called Farm eggs.

Brown eggs are from normal wild chickens.

I peronally believe, brown eggs have superior nutritional value.

We live by an old commercial slogan. Quote:

Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh!

:D

The first and obvious difference is their color, the second is the type of chicken it comes out of, personally i haven't tasted any difference between the two.

Nutritionally there is no difference, various breeds lay different colors. White eggs are popular with grocery stores visually (clean and fresh looking) and one of the best laying breeds happens to lay white eggs. Restaurants often prefer brown eggs as it is easier to see bits of shell when they fall in the food being prepared. A tiny white bit of shell in a pound of flour is hard to find until somebody crunches it. Yolk color is adjusted by feed contents.

Brown eggs tend to be more expensive because the hens that lay them are larger birds; therefore, they eat more food--with the cost being passed on to you. There is no nutritional difference between brown and white eggs, although some people claim that brown eggs taste better

Hens that produce brown eggs are larger than white-egg-producing hens, and require more feed and care; that extra expense is passed on to the consumer. Although it might be cheaper to raise white-egg-producing hens, brown eggs continue to sell well, so they’re still a smart business choice for farmers.

It’s a widespread belief that hens with darker feathers and red earlobes produce brown eggs, while hens with white feathers and white earlobes produce white eggs, but that is not always true! Ultimately, eggshell color is a matter of a chicken’s genetics.

its an egg!!!!

The only difference is the color. Brown eggs are more expensive because the chickens that lay them are bigger and require more food