My child has some skin changes on his head and I took him to a doctor and the diagnose was folliculitis. But we are still waiting for some results, and those will tell us if we are talking about fungal or bacterial folliculitis. What is the difference between those two? Should I be worried about this entire situation? I hope that it is nothing serious.

Main difference is in the size of the affected area. With bacterial type, the lesion goes more into the skin and it is more a chronic type and it could be followed with inflammation. As for the fungal type, patches are more located on the surface and it is treated with anti fungal antibiotic, while the first type is cured with corticosteroids, for example.

the main difference is in signs and symptoms of folliculitis. sure, someone will tell that those differences are minor, but I would not agree.

I agree that the main size is in the affected area, but that is not all. It is more red and inflamed when you are dealing with bacterial infection. 

But just to be sure you really should do the medical examination. I think that every doctor will recommend this for you. 

don't even try to heal this alone or to do something about this alone, it can be very dangerous and visit your doctor should be yours number one option!