Can you please tell me what the main difference between cystitis and overactive bladder is? I have some problems and I did some research, but from what I read about these two conditions I can tell the difference. I have symptoms of both, but I doubt that I could be having them both.

Hello, I am suffering from cystitis. The hallmarks of interstitial cystitis are: daytime frequency (I go more than 9 voids per day!), urgency without incontinence, nighttime frequency and bladder pain relieved by voiding. However, the key difference between overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis is at night. Overactive bladder will have 4 or less voids per night while interstitial cystitis will have many more episodes of nocturia.

My mother suffers from overactive bladder and the symptoms are frequent urination, urgency of urination, nocturia, and if you don’t know what this means that is urinating in the middle of the night and urges incontinence.

Unfortunately for my mother this condition has caused significant social, psychological and physical (and as far as I have heard from my father sexual problems as well) problems.

First she was depressed because she thought that her symptoms are part of getting older but after consulting with her doctor she knows that overactive bladder is the cause of these symptoms. She is on therapy with medications and doctor mentioned if she doesn’t show improvement that she will undergo surgical procedure.