I know that elderly, infants, and persons with impaired immune systems are at increased risk for salmonella infection. I have heard that healthy adults and children are at risk for egg-associated salmonellosis. I can understand that in these persons, a relatively small number of Salmonella bacteria can cause severe illness. Now I want to hear is it possible to reduce risk of salmonella infection.

Most of the deaths caused by Salmonella enteritidis have occurred among the elderly people in nursing homes. Egg-containing dishes prepared for any of these high-risk persons in hospitals, or at home should be thoroughly cooked and served promptly. If egg is thoroughly cooked, the Salmonella organisms will be destroyed. This means it will not make the person sick or cause salmonella infection. Many dishes made in restaurants or commercial or institutional kitchens, are made from pooled eggs. A healthy person's risk for infection by Salmonella enteritidis is low, which I good to know. Eggs, like meat, poultry, milk, and other foods, are safe from salmonella when handled properly. Shell eggs are safest when stored in the refrigerator, individually and thoroughly cooked. The larger the numbers of Salmonella organisms are present in the egg the more likely it is to cause illness. Keeping eggs adequately refrigerated prevents any Salmonella present in the eggs from growing to higher numbers, so eggs should be held refrigerated. It should be consumed promptly and not be held in the temperature range of 40 to 140 for more than 2 hours.