Hello, there. My mother had uterine cervix cancer and she died from it 10 years ago. I am 23 years old and I am afraid the same thing could happen to me. I have heard something about gardasil vaccine. Will this vaccine protect me from cervical cancer? I would be very grateful if anyone knew this answer.

Hi, there. You are in good age for getting gardasil. It is recommended for girls between 9 and 26. It is the best time since it is probably that no contact with human papilloma virus is made. In that way, you will be protected from infection. Human papilloma viruses are one of the most responsible factors for cervical cancer. Even when you’re older, you can get a vaccine. It is less likely that you had infection from all 4 types of viruses. In that case, vaccine will protect you from other types. You should discuss all this with your gynecologist.

I believe that gardasil does provide some protection but this does not mean that you WILL NOT contract hpv. And like justin855 said- HPV is the leading cause in ceervial cancer. The best way of preventing this is to be very carefull of who you come into contact with. And men that have HPV have no signs or symptoms. In fact its hard for even a doctor to tell. So always take caution.