This morning I had to go to the hospital to have a Nuclear Medicine Bile Absorbtion Test carried out. When the time came for me to take the 'nuclear' capsule, I wasn't given the beaker of water until after I had put the capsule into my mouth. Too late I discovered that the beaker only contained a very small amount of water. When I returned to the waiting room I felt that the capsule was stuck in my throat. The procedure involves waiting for an hour after swallowing the capsule and then another set of readings/images are taken. I went back to see the medical guy who was carrying the prodecure out to explain and he suggested I have a couple of beakers of water. I really feel he should have allowed me a few sips of water before handing me the capsule in the first place, and he should have certainly given me a full beaker of water, the lack of which seems to have caused this problem. When I was called to have the second images/readings taken over an hour later, I was asked if taking the water had worked, but I explained that I still had the feeling the capsule was stuck in my throat. ''Strange that'' was his reply, and the procedure was carried out and I was sent on my way with the instruction not to eat for two hours. During those two hours the feeling of the stuck capsule in my throat has continued. The two hours passed and I can now eat and so have just taken an egg cup of Olive Oil, eaten some bread and I am now taking some warm soup and more bread as I write this....All of which seems to have helped reduce the sensation of a stuck capsule but not entirely, and so I am wondering If it is just that which I am experiencing...A 'Sensation' rather than an actual stuck capsule!? My concern is that if it is the capsule has stuck in my throat, then it wouldn't have done what it was supposed to have done for the procedure to have worked. My second concern is that the capsule is a 'nuclear' one and I am worried that the contents may harm my throat! I'm now onto trying some bread and cheese which will hopefully do the job...I'll let you know how things go.

Health Guru
Hi, I think it probably got lodged in your throat until you had the extra water then that moved it but the sensation of it still being there remained.

Hi blankcanvas002, Many thanks for your reply. It's now 9 hours since I swallowed the capsule and the feeling that it is still lodged in my throat remains... BUT... it is much much less now. I think that your explaination is the most feasible....I hope so anyway! Thanks again.

Health Guru
Your welcome and its a pleasure :-)
Even if it had got stuck it would soon dissolve because they are only made of like a gelatin.
Hope everything goes well for you :-)