I would like to know when it is necessay to go to a doctor when you have a fish bone lodged in your throat. How long can you safely wait it out for it to pass naturally?

Thanks.

Alot of times they don't naturally pass per se'. It is a bone so it is not going to easily dissolve for one and two it is only going to irritate your throat and may cause slight swelling, making it more difficult to remove. Just go to an urgent care facility and they should be able to remove it in a matter of minutes, save yourself the discomfort and the hassle of it turning into something bigger and making a bigger expense. It has been my luck in the past that I was able to remove my self, you could try gargling. Hope this helps!

I found this site more informative.

****

The answer to the above question is more in the terms of...
As long as there is no pain or other symptoms pertaining to the matter (for eg. wheezing, breathing difficulty, Blood in spit etc.) you can relax. If any of the symptoms persist or pain continues, it is better to see a doctor as early as possible. Although a scratch on the mucose can produce a sensation that the foreign body is still there, it is better to see a doctor if the pain persists or worsens.
Thanks.

**edited by moderator** **web addresses are not allowed**

Well.. Saliva doesn't really dissolve bones very quickly, so, I guess it's a matter of a few things. Fish bones are pretty thin though, so, I'd imagine if it's not too serious it will go away in a few days.

Can you eat/drink okay?
Is there any pain?
Can you taste any blood in your throat or do you spit it up?
Any breathing problems?
Do you wake up at night due to it?

If yes to ANY of those, I'd see a doctor immediately.

there is a fish bone in the end of my tongue and i can't see it... help me please
:'(

just go to a doctor ................................ ya eat banana this will help u to pass fish bone from u r throat ......... XD

I googled : "got a small skinny chicken bone stuck in my throat" and received the question above:

"I would like to know when it is necessary to go to a doctor when you have a fish bone lodged in your throat. How long can you safely wait it out for it to pass naturally?" - along with all it's answers as the best match.

I realized this answer would probably be the best solution for my case - and the way Sandeep wrote it made the solution suggestion all the more re-asurring to me, as it sounds like Jamaican or Caribbean type speech - and you know they eat a lot of fish, and must have lots of experience with home remedies to get fish bones un-stuck from your throat!. So I ate half a banana, which felt very comforting to my throat & the first swallow of it completely took the tiny bone to my stomach. I then ate the usually recommended slice of high fiber wheat bread with butter on it, for good measure along with ice water to wash it down, then finished the other half of banana, and thought, "On Dr. Oz at 4pm this afternoon, an esophageal cancer/acid reflux expert said people with acid reflux should eat only bananas and greens, pure water & other foods that make the stomach less acidic for 14 days, to heal acid reflux damage to the esophagus, so the bread with butter which will promote more acid production in the stomach, in order to make sure the tiny bone gets completely dissolved before it leaves the stomach, would probably be better than banana to remove a small soft bone stuck in the throat, but after the 4hrs it takes to completely digest anything in the stomach, I recommend especially eating bananas because they are so comforting to the throat, and they also said that making the throat less acid by eating only non acid promoting foods like bananas, any kind of greens, and lots of ice cold water will help heal any irritations in the throat, and that would include any little scratches from accidentally swallowing a soft skinny bone you had to push through with a piece of bread. The banana is very comforting to the throat. (I decided on this coarse for me because I had swallowed a very tiny, & very thin chicken bone, and I had over boiled the chicken so all the bones were pretty soft and almost completely chew-up-able, but was just eating too fast and missed a tiny one.)

It really helps to make a rational decision quickly, and not worry about it with all these well thought out possible solutions. Thanks everyone!! :)

Thanks. I just got a fish bone caught in my throat. Saw your post, followed your suggestions and it's gone. Thanks for saving me a trip to the dreaded urgent care.

u can eat swet potato bread or banna and anyting that is sticky is worth a try

What should I do a fish bone is stuck in my chest soo plz help nothing is working

look i don't know if there is bone but i was eating a fish with bones in like 1 or 2 months so i have some smaalll really small diffuculties with breathing ive been spitting with a blood sometimes and now i feel like something thin pushes my throat i had an oppoitment he said there is nothing that cause blood in the spit i dont know help

well i ended up in the hospital after that mullet sandwich, they put me to sleep and removed that bone but go to the hospital...bread can cause u to choke if the bone is in a certain position and im home now ..but could have gotten a serious infection or even died....Thank you Jesus

Guys I had a fishbone stuck in my throat and I could feel it everytime I swallow my saliva I kept on eating banana and bread and drink lots of water it's still won't go away I need your help guys I could that the fish bone is big what shall I do I have already slept with it and when I woke up is still there

i have the worst fish bone case . i gooled around and no one have this issue as me.a fine small fish bone stuck deep inside my throat 10 ago. i had a feeling of it getting stuck on day 1 , after that there ws only a very minor discomfort for few days hardly i felt . on day 4 and 5 the feeliing gets abit stronger, on day six i went to see a GP. he advised it may be a bone or a inflamed bone scratch, he prescribed antibiotic and told me " if the pain and the swelling doesnt go away in 3 days time than you have to meet an ENT specialist"

So day 9 i saw ENT specialist and she was unable to find the bone used scope down my nostril and xray  , suspected it is too small and body has reacted over the small bone and the inflamation and swelling has covered the bone fully.

She advised the the body will self disolve the bone in two weeks and gave me medicine,

day 10 today and it is still painfull and swollen, tomorrow i am going for another ENT to get 2nd opinion, hopefully the bone coould be removed,

will update tomorrow>

so.. what was the 2nd opinion ?? i got this fish bone struck and its been 7 days.. i can feel it when i turn my head and try to move the
throat.. today i went to ENT doc he did endoscopy but couldn't find the bone.. he says its just my feeling and there is no bone. but my gut feeling is this little rascal is hiding somewhere n bothering me. what should i do ?