Hi there. I have been reading this forum and I felt the need to post my own experience of the past 2 weeks. I'm hoping that someone can give me any insight on what could be happening here.

I have been feeling as if something is stuck in my throat - small like a pill or something (even though I haven't taken any) - felt in the lower part of the throat. I swallow and swallow but of course the sensation is still there. I have no pain at all, and it does seem to get worse on and off throughout the course of the day (when I first wake up in the morning I dont feel it at all). At times I don't feel it there, then other times I do. I have no difficulty in eating, drinking, breathing or swallowing at all. However I have noticed that I tend to try clearing my throat quite often, as sometimes if I don't my voice goes a little hoarse. Sometimes, if I think about this too much (ha ha) I also get the sensation of my neck tightening. No ear pain or infection, no headaches, no nausea ... just this bothersome need to clear my throat and feeling like something is there. I can't see any swelling of glands or visual lumps on my neck. No bloody flem ... nothing.

What could this be? I don't experience heartburn, even though I know that some people with GERD don't. Could this be GERD? In doing my research online here I came across an article written by an MD stating that most throat cancers aren't felt because we have less sense of feeling in our throats - if we had more we would be gagging all the time even on our food ... hence why throat cancers go undetected for quite some time.

voicedoctor.net/therapy/cps.html

But the thing is, some other sites I have gone to say that symptoms could be cancer. So I am confused ... and I guess understandably a bit freaked out on what this could be. Could anyone experiencing or have experienced these very same symptoms (along with the lack of other symptoms that I myself gave) give me any insight on what this could be?

Thanks in advance ...

I am in the same shoes as you are. I also found this info about the muscle spasms in the esophagus and although I have all the symptoms like you do, the problem hasn’t gone away in months now.

I am constantly clearing my throat and now I feel the lump all the time. I have been coughing up hard mucus lately and because of this coughing up and clearing I sometimes have a sore throat.

I get so upset over this that I experience a headache and become really nervous which seems only to aggravate the condition.

I have been to a GP and an ENT and nothing was found. They told me it is stress but I am going to go again and ask for these antispasmic drugs to try to relieve this because it is started to be more than annoying.

In order to rule out cancer, you should see a GP, tell your symptoms and medical history, they will perform a physical exam, listen to your chest, look at the throat and if nothing’s found they may send you to an ENT like they did to me. ENT also said it is stress since she found nothing except destroyed tonsils.

If you decide to see a doc, make sure you mention what you read about the spasms of the muscles in the esophagus.

This is an old post, so dont know if you will see my reply. But just in case.

I also had the "something in my throat" feeling, a lot of mucus, horseness and constant clearing. I noticed it got worse as the day went on.

Went to the ENT and was diagnosed with silent reflux, as I had no heart burn.

I started taking prilosec OT daily in the am. cut back on red meat, and eliminated caffeine.

Im so much better! But I still have to take prilosec daily, have taken it for 1 and 1/2 years. But it did take care of the problem.

I read the post shown below from August of 2006 and this is exactly what is happening to me at the moment. Just went to the doctor and they are going to schedule me for an ENT evaluation next week, but I'm curious to know what happened with Rhiannon if you're still out there and what the problem turned out to be. I would be very interested to hear from you. Thank you.

I also have the feeling that something is stuck in my throat but no pain. It happens mostly after eating, but eventually goes away temporarily. I've had this feeling for about 2 weeks. Before this I was feeling nauseous a lot, and I still have nausea, especially after I eat. I'm also worried about esophageal cancer, since I know someone who had it. My doc doesn't seem to believe that anything is seriously wrong with me. Any suggestions?

I also have the same symptoms: constant clearing of the throat, feeling that something is stuck on my throat, but no difficulty eating, no pain, no shortness of breath. It's just bothersome and concerning. I will go back to my doctor and ask (and really press!) for an upper endoscopy of my throat so that the doctor can take a good look at it and rule out any lumps, blisters, infection, bleeding, or cancer! Withe the endoscopy they can see the entire passage and walls of the esophagus and its surroundings. Only then one could accept the diagnosis of stress as the main cause for this problem and tackle it with a good vacation or something.

I too have this nagging sensation in the lower part of my throat.

I irst noticed it about 2 months ago after a Keflex capsule became stuck in my throat (temporarily)...when it cleared the burning went away ater a couple o days...

When I mentioned it to my MD he said that I may have failed to drink enough fluid with the tablet and before it went in to my stomach, it could have ulcerated the back o my throat. Sounded good to me, so I quit worrying about it.

Then, about 5 days ago, I swallowed wrong and had a coughing fit to catch my breath--when I recovered, that sensation returned and has been with me ever since.

Like the original poster mentioned, this eeling is completely (100%) gone first thing in the morning, but progresses as the day goes on and is nearly driving me crazy by bedtime.

If anyone has answers, please let me know

Jeni in Arizona

This link might help out, it is about feeling a lump in your throat

https://www.steadyhealth.com/clearing_of_throat_as_if_something_in_there__t75413.html

Have had the same problem for a few days now. It got me worried sick as i read it is one of the symptoms of Throat Cancer. I basically have the feeling that something is stuck in my throat, altho nothing is there, and i have to constantly swallow nothing. It does get worse as the day progresses. I am also getting nausea and dizziness at the same time...Went to GP, and he said it could be an infection and ordered antibiotics. Am not very satisfied though as i am worried it is something else. I did have throat infections regularly before, but never with this weird sensation...Will see what happens when i finish my antibiotics...

Hey mbalmer. I assume you are an embalmer. I am too. I have the same symptoms as you. My Dr says there are no studies done on our occupation. I almost choked last night, but I was lucky enough to throw it up. This has been going on for awhile, but getting worse. Could this be an occupational problem for us? We know that breathing in fumes is no good, but it happens all of the time. We know that those chemicals we breath in are cancerous. I hope we find a solution, SOON.

Hi! Just found this website. Have been feeling the same symptons that Rhianna did. It all started about five months ago when I would every once in a while feel a sudden hesitation in the swallowing of food. It startled me because I had never felt anything like it before. About three days ago I began having this sensation that something was stuck in my throat. I found myself trying to swallow alot to try to get rid of it to no avail. It's not there when I first wake up, but the sensation progressively gets worse as the day progresses. Sometimes if I force myself to burp, it feels a little better for a few moments. Since childhood I was told that I had alot of acidity in my mouth. I know that if I eat acidic fruits, sodas, flour products with yeast, I feel extreme acidity in my throat. This sensation however, is so irritating....Help, any thoughts or ideas?
Am planning on calling the doctor tomorrow to request an endoscopy.

hey i had that problem it turns out i was a piece of food stuck in the back of the throat

Hi Rhiannon,

From the last few days I am also having the exactly same problem as you described in your post. Please let me know how did you cure your problem so that I can do the same. Thanks

Rhiannon213 wrote:

Thanks in advance ...

i found these posts really helpful, for about a year i have been feeling exactly these symptoms of something stuck at the back of my throat, at first when it started it was like a hair, i also noticed white lumps in the little holes at the back of the throat.

however as time has gone on, a sensation of something being stuck further down in the throat and like the earlier post says, mostly when i eat red meat. think ill go back to the doctor for the umpteenth time in the lasts year with these posts printed out to prove to him im not crazy lol.

hmm... interesting, I just started experiencing this problem, i'd say it started about a week ago I think. Goes away for a while but returns after drinking or eating for a while and goes away again... extremely irritating...

This thread however I would have to say is of no real assistance to anyone as the conclusion is "nobody knows what it is" and "there is no treatment" which is somewhat depressing...