My mother was diagnosed with adenomyosis. I would like to know all there is to know about this condition. Is it dangerous? What is the best treatment? I am sure that her doctor will tell us, but until then, I would appreciate any information.

The penetration and growth of endometrial tissue from the uterine lining into the myometrium is called adenomyosis or internal endometriosis. This disease may coexist with external endometriosis. The abnormally located endometrial tissue tends to bleed with the menses and the blood and debris may accumulate in these misplaced glands creating small fluid collections inside the uterine wall. This penetrating and functioning endometrial tissue may lead to swelling. Then, the uterus may become larger and globular. Adenomyosis can be presented as a diffuse condition or it can be focal. In the case of focal, there are local areas of swelling, called adenomyomas. They can mimic other uterine masses. Adenomyosis can be present and cause no symptoms but when the symptoms are present the typical triad is uterine enlargement, pelvic pain and heavy and abnormal menstrual bleeding. The only effective treatment for symptomatic adenomyosis is hysterectomy. I truly hope that your mother will be ok.