I am 46 year old, female. I‘ve been having heavy periods in last couple of years, first I suspected that I am in perimenopause, but it is too early for me. I am going on MRI next week doctor told me that I might be need hysterectomy too, he suspects on Adenomyosis. Please tell me more about this condition. Is this heavy bleeding going to stop, that is major problem for me; there are days when I can’t even go to work.

Adenomyosis is the presence of endometrial glands and supporting tissues in the muscle of the uterus. It would not occur there normally. When the gland tissue grows during the menstrual cycle and then at menses tries to slough, the old tissue and blood cannot escape the uterine muscle and flow out of the cervix as part of normal menses, and that causes pain and abnormal bleeding. MRI will be able to diagnose adenomyosis, but hysterectomy is over 80% effective in eliminating pain and abnormal bleeding if woman has finished childbearing and is willing to undergo surgery. For abnormal bleeding problems and desire for uterine conservation, a progesterone intrauterine contraceptive device can also be used to improve irregular bleeding, but wait for MRI results before you do anything.