I was talking to my friend something about women’s health. Topic was endometriosis, that terrible disease, which affects women, causing so many problems in their lives. Anyway, my friend told me the same disorder is adenomyosis. I have never heard for this, so she left me a little bit confused. Can you tell me something about this, is it similar to endometriosis, or something else.

She did not make mistake, other terms for adenomyosis are endometriosis internal, uterine endometriosis, internal endometriosis. Adenomyosis is the presence of endometrial glands and supporting tissues in the muscle of the uterus. I mean it is found on the parts of uterus, where it would not occur normally. When the gland tissue grows during the menstrual cycle, the old tissue and blood cannot escape and flow out as part of normal menses. This is normally cause uterine pain in the form of monthly menstrual cramps. It also produces abnormal uterine bleeding when some of the blood finally escapes. This problem often occurs in the posterior wall of the uterus. Cyclic, cramping uterine pain begins later in reproductive life, generally after age 35, and is often associated with prolonged and heavy menses. It is difficult to differentiate adenomyosis from endometriosis, if there is no abnormal bleeding and if it occurs earlier than age 40. Endometriosis tends to present earlier, between ages of 20-40, and if there is abnormal bleeding, it tends to be premenstrual spotting, rather than heavy and prolonged menses.